Which MBP should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cuneyd, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Cuneyd macrumors member

Hi, I'm currently planning on purchasing a MBP in 2012. I'm waiting for the next year's version mostly because I don't like the Intel 3000 graphics card, and I'll have enough money by then. Other then that I love the design. I wanted a 13" because it's portable and the others are just way too big for me, but I need power as I plan on studying computer engineering in the future, I also need the laptop to last for a good 4-5 years as it probably will considering how durable it is. The current 13" seems more like a web-surfer. I need something that can handle anything I throw at it, I will also be using bootcamp. I want a quad-core with an SSD so it will be a custom configuration. The current 13"s don't have quad core :( Hopefully next years model will. Am I just dreaming or is there a possibility for that to happen? So in short I want:

Portability - Power - Good graphics card - Quad Core - Good Price

What do you think I should do? Buy this years MBP or wait? Get a 13" or a 15" or maybe even a 17"...? Any other advice in general?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Hardware may very well be refreshed between now and then. Any answer you get today should be taken with a grain of salt.

3. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I was in the same dilemma. I went with the 13" and couldn't be happier.

One question, though. Why not a MacBook Air?

4. Cuneyd thread starter macrumors member

The MBP is much more powerful. While the MBA is nice I like the Pro's design better. Again the main reason being power. Thanks for the advice, so you think I should buy?

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Current MBP's, even the 13" are more than just web surfers. Considering your iPhone is a more powerful computer than all desktops built 10 years ago, and those computers did some major stuff - I think it's pretty safe to say buying one today won't disappoint you.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The 13" definitely isn't underpowered, and is capable of much more than websurfing. I have a late 08 macbook with a good bit less power and it can still handle engineering software, so I think you're underestimating the current 13"

7. Cuneyd thread starter macrumors member

Will it be enough for engineering programs and such?

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yes. However, at least at my school it was very seldom necessary to actually use your own computer for the engineering programs.