Which MBP should I chose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koncdead, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Koncdead macrumors newbie

I am really stuck in what I want. Let me first give you info about myself. I am currently a undergrad college student. I want to replace my current desktop which is an 20" 2.4 GHz aluminum iMac. I want to keep the power but want the portability. I like big screens because small screens make me feel a tad bit cluster phobic. But the desks at my school are kinda small. So I'm worried that by having a 15" will not be sturdy. Also since the 13" have SATA 1.5 I may want to get an SSD later when prices drop.
    Edit: I have Safari(TONS of Videos), iTunes, Mail, and iChat running with everyday use. I occasionally use Photoshop, Sims 3, and iWorks(When needed for school).
    With that being said here are my choices and prices:

MacBook Pro:
    13" 2.26 GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, SD Card Slot, Serial-ATA 1.5, (8GB Ram Max) + free 8GB iPod Touch = $1099

Refurbished 15" 2.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, Dedicated Graphics Card, Express Card Slot, (4GB Ram Max) = $1349

Refurbished 15" 2.54 GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Dedicated Graphics Card, Express Card Slot (4GB Ram Max) = $1449(I feel this is a great deal because of the upgrade of Ram and HDD)

Hardware Upgrades I want:
    Seagate 500GB 7200RPM HHD = $139.99
    OR
    Seagate 320GB 7200RPM HDD = $89.99
    OWC 2x 2GB Ram (4GB ram) = $64.99

External Display later in my llife(but sooner if I get it the 13"):
    HP2519m 21.5" LCD = $189.99
    mStand = $49.99

Software:
    Microsoft Word 2008
    Snow Leopard
    VM Ware(if needed)
    Windows XP, Vista, or 7
    Adobe Photoshop CS4

Any info would be helpful. Aloha.

2. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I'm a soon-to-be undergrad student, too.

I'm going the 13" 2.26GHz + display route, like many here are.

I'll have to worry about getting a display after college, considering I'm not dorming.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Save up working for 2 weeks and get the 2.53 refurb. For the extra $400 you're getting a beast that can handle anything you throw at it and will last throughout most of college. By your senior year the 13" will be very outdated. Depends on if you plan to buy/upgrade at some point in college.

To put this in perspective: 4 years ago your 13" MBP option would have comparatively been a 1.2 GHZ ibook G4 :eek:

Realistically, mac notebooks last 2-3 years before they become "ancient". The 2.53 will get you in that 3 year period.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That is probably the best deal, even though you don't clue us in as to what you use your machine for.
    Why do you want Microsoft Word and iWork? If there's any program in the Office Suite that is nigh irreplaceable it's Excel, not Word.

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

So very true, although a college student NEEDS MS Word for compatibility purposes IMO. I wouldn't take a risk on having a compatibility problem with sending/reading documents. One incident can be devastating.

6. Koncdead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. I added info about what I will use it for.