Which MBP should I get? 13 with eGPU vs 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryecoke, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ryecoke, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

ryecoke macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on which direction to go here.

I am currently using a 2015 13" MBP (i5, 8gb RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel GPU) for work and general use, and then a Desktop PC (older i7 - probably 5 or 6 generations ago, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB HDD, Geforce 970) for gaming.

My goal is to replace both systems with a new MBP. I need a little more punch, more storage space, and the ability to play games at a somewhat equivalent ability in 1 system, as I want to ditch having 2 systems and using Windows. Here are my general uses:

1) Web development work - The heaviest uses being that I do a lot of virtualization (running Windows and Linux VMs, often simultaneously) and I find 8gb RAM is a major hurdle on my current MBP.
    2) Minor graphic/video work
    3) Gaming (almost exclusively WoW and other Blizzard games.. which are all supported on MacOS, and don't have crazy requirements)
    4) General typical usage

The two configurations I'm looking at:
    1) 15 inch MBP (i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 560X) = $3699 CAD

PROS: More powerful overall except for gaming. Potential to game while portable.
    CONS: Larger and less portable. Potentially not enough power for gaming? (How would this compare to my current desktop??). I would also need to buy some sort of dock for my monitor/kb/mouse/headset/ethernet for home, so this configuration would likely be more expensive? I am also used to and really enjoy the 13 inch form factor, and not sure how much I'd be into the 15 inch, but am overall not too concerned about this.

2) 13 inch MBP (i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel Iris 655) $2889 CAD + eGPU $400-500 CAD + Radeon Pro 580 $300 CAD = $3689 CAD

PROS: More portability and form factor I'm used to. Better gaming performance at home. Certain eGPU's can act as a dock.
    CONS: Less power, especially while portable. Gaming not possible whatsoever away from eGPU.

I would say my 2 major questions are this:
    1) How well would the 15 inch configuration run those games, especially as compared to my current desktop? It is very hard to find benchmarks for the 560X or be able to compare it to a 970 or 580.
    2) How important is the extra CPU and GPU power on-the-go?

A lot of this is probably subjective, but looking for opinions =) Thanks guys!