Which MBP should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Chow, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Mr.Chow, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Mr.Chow macrumors member

Mr.Chow

Hey guys,
    I'm planning to purchase a Macbook Pro. After yesterdays keynote I'm really not sure which one I should get.
    The two macbooks at choice are #1: 13-inch: 2.5GHz (500GB HDD) and #2: 13-inch: 2.4GHz with Retina display (128GB SSD). Before the new ones were released I didn't even think about a retina one, but now the price is nearly the same. What bothers me most with the later is the little SSD space.
    Right now I'm using Windows 8.1 on my desktop PC (~133GB in use) and notebook (which I rarely use). When I'm going to make my step into the Apple ecosystem I want to use the Macbook as my main device, which means:
    *doing my university stuff (study & research journals, MS Office [don't know if iWork will suit my needs)
    *listening to music (library size is about 70GB)
    *internetting (reddit, youtube and whatnot)
    *I'm not playing games (whenever I want to I could still use my desktop)
    *Macbook is supposed to be the computer I connect my iPhone with. So all the stuff I wanna sync should be available on the Macbook.

Retina, Haswell and so on are nice but the SSD space makes the decision really hard for me. The optical drive is no decisive factor 'cause I hardly use mine right now beside of ripping my CDs.

So which one would you recommend to me. I clearly have no clue how much space OS X will need or if a Macbook is suitable for listening music. If you have any other questions about my user behaviour, just go for it and ask. Thanks in advance!

and btw: sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes. English isn't my native tongue.

so long

edit: @mods: could you move this thread to the right sub forum? sorry!

2. bluebird3 macrumors regular

I'm thinking the same... Probably rmbp. more secure i think.

3. Leudast macrumors member

Have you considered getting an external 1TB backup?

4. ManhattanBeach macrumors member

Load and start up times on a SSD are exponentially faster... this reason alone is enough to choose it over a traditional HD. Also you can always use an external backup for your music.

5. Mr.Chow thread starter macrumors member

Mr.Chow

Yes I know and SSD would be very awesome but still I want to have the most important stuff on my notebook. How much space does the OS need?