which mbp should i sell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicjoke, Apr 10, 2013.

1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

so i just ordered a refurb 15" rmbp 2.6ghz/16gb ram/512gb ssd for $2289 off the apple store after. Assuming everything works out with it, I guess I want to sell one of my macbooks.

Currently I use a late '11 2.5ghz 15" HR antiglare w/ 6770m 256gb ssd & 16gb ram, a couple years left on appleclare.

I also have a base model late '11 15" glossy 6750m yadda that i let my partner use - its warranty is expired.

Both are in pretty great condition. Whichever I sold, I'd let my partner use the other (who could not care less about the features of the better laptop).

I suspect I'd take a considerably greater loss on the HR antiglare one, it was $2650 or something out of store, + warranty, + aftermarket ssd/ram... Maybe it's worth like $1300 now if I'm lucky lol.

Meanwhile the base one was $1799 would probably take less of a loss, so maybe I should sell it.

So should I go for the most money or the least loss? Tell me macrumors people, which is most logical?

Maybe I'll just toss both up on craigslist and let fate decide as to which one sells first.

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I agree with your assessment, I think you are better off selling the base model. Typically I have found that nobody wants to pay anything extra for the add-ons that you invested in. I had a lot of trouble selling my 15" MBP with anti-glare for that very reason. My asking price was well under what the machine was worth, but nobody still thought the upgrades were worth anything. Pretty frustrating, but thats the market.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Calculating your "loss" is irrelevant, as you don't have the money any more. All you have is a redundant computer. Sell the one that leaves you the most money. It will get a better price as it's more desirable and has Applecare on it. Since it's more expensive it will stand to depreciate more in the future so you are minimising future losses.

The same thing happens with shares -- you don't worry about how much you've already made or lost as that's already happened. You only consider from this point on, as that's all you can change.

4. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I already considered that perspective as most rational, but my emotions about how much it was once worth not long ago were getting in the way. Reading somebody else write it, quite eloquently at that, clarified everything. :)