Which MBP to Buy? Coming from MacBook Air.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rhyx, Sep 27, 2009.

1. rhyx macrumors 6502

I currently use a 2.8 Octo Mac Pro at work. I also have a 1.8/SSD MacBook Air that I use at home. I frequently find it beach balls when I have FireFox and VMWare running. Sadly it just doesn't seem to have the power I need. I think this is mainly limited by the 2GB of RAM.

I'm looking at picking up a MacBook Pro but I'm not sure which will work best for my needs. If I'm not playing games do I really need the Nvidia 9600m discrete graphics? I'm not sure how much the 256MB of shared ram on the low end 15" will affect me. I plan on giving the machine 4GB of RAM for sure and maybe 8GB as prices drop.

I used to have a aluminum 15" 2.4 MBP but sold it a little over a year ago. It was a great machine and makes me wish I had kept that one.

Which MBP would you recommend I get?

2. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

You don't need the 9600 graphics. I do Lightroom, Photoshop, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Safari, Firefox, Mail, etc and exclusively use my 9400 integrated graphics. So much that I decided it wouldn't be a big deal to go for the refurb $1449 MBP that doesn't have the 9600. I do not game or use 3d apps like Motion or After Effects.

3. rhyx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I figured I wouldn't notice the 256MB shared RAM usage.

Now I'm looking at the previous gen since I do have a few things that use ExpressCards.

4. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Yea if you are looking at the previous gen express card MBPs, this question doesn't matter because you get both graphic options.