Which MBP to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sailorbear, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. sailorbear macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #1
    Ok, I have a question to ask with my first post.

    I am getting a 17" MBP. Which one should I get:

    A refurbed (from Apple Store) with all standard features + 17" HD screen for $2499.

    OR

    Wait for the 'new' model to come out and purchase it base with the HD screen for a ballpark $2,999.

    The multi touch really isn't that big of a deal to me. The keys are a slightly bigger deal. I'm not a fan of black keys like I have seen rumored to be on the new MBP. I'm not sure, though, that that is a deal breaker in the matter. So, is it worth the extra $400-500 for the rumored Penryn and multi touch?

    Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated.
     
  2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

    JesterJJZ

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2004
    #2
    If you need one now then just get one. If you can wait till the next revision you'll at least have more (and better) options to choose from.
     
  3. sailorbear thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #3
    Anyone else?

    I'm basically wondering if you all think that it is worth the extra $400-500 for the Penryn, multi touch, and new LED screen.
     
  4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #4
    I don't. Six months from when Penryn's released, a faster 17" will be released. Six months from then, Nehalem will be out, which will make Penryn just another dual core processor (which, to be honest, is a good description of it Today). Bottom line, something newer and better will always be around the corner. Buy now or buy later, but you'll never get the time you spent sitting on the fence back. And a year from now, when you've got just another outdated MBP, you'll have $500 gone that you could have spent on something else (like memory, or food). I'd buy a refurbished MBP now if I were in the market for one, and I'd be happy with it--regardless of what came out afterward.
     
  5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

    digitalnicotine

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #5
    One other thing to consider with the Penryn is that it's likely to run cooler than the current MBP. Since nobody knows for sure what the new MBP specs will be, you may want to wait and see so you can make an informed decision. You'll still be able to opt for the older model refurb or something on eBay. It's pretty likely that when the new MBP's are released, the cost of the current MBP will be slightly cheaper as you'll be purchasing a refurb, old stock, used, etc.

    If you need it now, get one now, of course. But if you can wait until about a week after the new MBP hits the market, you'll have the best options available for about a 6 month period, and can google to make sure there are no issues for early adopters. Right now, it's very unlikely it will take 6 months from now for them to release the new spec. I'd guess more like 3 months max? So you'll have the advantage regardless if you wait. Buyers remorse really sucks when you're talking items nearing the $3k mark. But in this case, you will at least know that the current model is a pretty awesome computer, and will very likely suit your needs.

    I own a 17" MBP and love it. Good luck on your purchase.
     
  6. tersono macrumors 68000

    tersono

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    Go for the refurb - provided it's the hi-res version. I have one of those machines and it's simply stunning - whatever they do to the new models I can't see me regretting having purchased mine.
     

Share This Page