Which mbp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Didier, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Didier macrumors newbie

I'm about to start college, for which I'll need a computer. The thing is, I'm not sure which one.
    I doubt between the new macbook pro with retina and the regular macbook pro.
    I'd love the new mbp with retina, because it has an ssd and new thin design, but it's nearly impossible to repair or upgrade things. That's why I'm also considering the normal mbp because you can upgrade it more easily.
    So, I want some opinions on what you guys think, should I go for the mbp with or without retina display?

2. Surfin10 macrumors member

3. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

You can always upgrade the classic MacBook Pro to an SSD third party and save some money.

4. simsaladimbamba

What are your computational needs? Be as specific as you can, thus we might be able to help you.

5. Didier thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not planning on using special programs, just browsing, word editing, presentations, listening to music, video messaging and some light photo-editing. But I like to do several things at the same time.
    And I prefer the 15'' over the 13'' and the air, because it has a quad-core, so with the future in mind (I want it to last several years) it sounds better. Or am I wrong?

Would it save me a lot of money? And if I'd do this would it be better to upgrade immediately or not, is there a very big difference in speed?

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The base-model 15" will be sufficient for your needs. You can also look at Retina MBP 15" is expensive and non-upgradeable. If you want to upgrade down the lane and the retina display doesn't matter much, I'd say go with the base-model 15".

It doesn't matter when you upgrade, you can do it later when you need.