Which MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JordanJ, Oct 13, 2012.

1. JordanJ macrumors member

I will receive a MBP for Christmas this year before I start Year 12 in Australia next year. (Same as Yr 12 in the US). My folks want to know what computer is the best one to get.

I'll dot point my uses

* Graphics (using PhotoShop to edit and iPhoto to store)
    * Web Developing (using both online CMS software and Dreamweaver)
    * Video (editing - iMovie)
    * Music (basic editing in Audacity and storing ~20GB in iTunes)
    * Windows - my school uses Windows and I need to use some Windows Specific Programs like Visual Basic and MS Access. I plan to use Parallels 8 and Windows 7 as a virtual machine
    * Storing Lots of written projects (done in MS Word).
    * Music Composition - Sibelius 7 to notate and write music scores and exporting them to MIDI and mp3 files.

I am leaning towards a 15" Retina MBP with the following specs:
    2.6 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD (potentially purchase another one if I need it later).

Budget is not really an issue and I hope the MBP I get will last me 3-4 years through Uni (college).

Do you think the Retina MBP will be better for me in the long term than a normal 15" MBP? Bearing in mind I will be taking it to school most of the time. I think a 15" screen would suit me better than a 13" as well.

Thanks!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you have enough money to get a decked 15" rMBP, def do that - If not, a cMBP would be better, as the RAM and HDD is upgradable :)

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Potentially purchase another what? SSD? They're technically upgradeable, but according to Apple, you'll void your warranty if you do.

Personally, I'd go with the cMBP so you'll have the ability to upgrade the HDD and RAM as your needs change.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your needs I wonder if the 256gb that is the base retina storage will be enough. If you're willing to pay for the 512gb SSD then I'd say go with the retina. Personally I think its a little too expensive with the 512gb but that's just me

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I'm betting that if I still have the 1st gen rMBP 2 years from now and won't be trading it in for a Haswell or beyond version, I'll be able to add a 1TB SDXC card that's as fast as a 5400rpm HDD and maybe even a flush mount adapter + micro-SD card with 256 GB that runs at the same speeds, for less than $200 (inflation-adjusted).

Therefore, I don't feel the need to pay Apple $500-$1000 for storage that I won't be needing until then. And if you need a little extra now, you can get a 128GB card for $150. It won't be as fast as flash, but do you really need it to be?