Which MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fadingstarx, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Fadingstarx macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I'm planning on buying my first Macbook. I plan on using it for video editing and music recording. Which Macbook do you recommend that would fit my needs? And should I wait for the upcoming MBP instead?

2. simsaladimbamba

Will you do video editing and music recording professionally?
    If so, get the 15" MBP or 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, as the quad core CPU and dedicated GPU will help immensely.
    If it is only a hobby from time to time, and your budget is tight, get the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display or 13" MBP if you want.
    The 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display offers more screen real estate, which is important in music and video editing.

But also know, that the MBP line is due for an update with slightly faster CPUs, better integrated graphics and much better battery life in October or November 2013, thus if those aspects are important to you, especially the battery and integrated graphics processor (IGP), then wait.

3. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I would with the classic MacBook Pro, you get the option to install RAM when you want to! Also if you don't need the optical drive you can install a second hard drive and have dual hard drives! Once you get the Retina MBP you are stuck with what you get and don't believe those whole you can still add more stuff externally. External devices are not the same, you could upgrade the hard drive but that is about it on a Retina and its a specific hard drive that would cost you and arm and leg.

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Just throw this into the mix. I use my Imac 27" ( Maxed Out Specs ) for Logic X which does all the heavy lifting and recording. I also have a 13" rMBP with 8GB of RAM which I only intended using for brief edits AFTER the main work had been done on the iMac.

I've since discovered that the Mac Book is perfectly capable of doing the recording too. Thanks in part to the 3GHZ CPU, but mainly the SSD, it really is fast enough to use Logic properly.

If you are just a hobbyist ( nothing wrong with that BTW ) then it might be worth considering the rMBP range. It's true that you have to up spec RAM etc. at time of purchase, and you might want the 15" but don't eliminate it from the equation.!

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

If you can wait, do so. I'd recommend a retina MacBook Pro with quad core and as much ram as you can afford.

6. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

7. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

I would say get the Retina display because I personally find to see the display as being simply phenominal, and it makes me WANT to use the laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the Retina has better heat distribution, and also it is more portable due to the thinner design, and less weight.

Just simply look at this video, you will see the performance of the MacBook Pro Retina... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCmH0uHESI