Which MBR good for video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BFMV409, Nov 26, 2011.

1. BFMV409 macrumors newbie

I currently have a MacBook 13" with 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 250GB Memory and 4 GB RAM. I'm assuming there's no way this thing will be able to handle video editing, but can it be upgraded with anything so that it can or am I looking at a new MBR? I want to be able to record video game content using an HD PVR and post videos to youtube, and maybe recording some guitar covers. I don't feel like spending $2000 on a new computer, so is there maybe a used or refurbished MBR I can get for like $1000-1500? Any help appreciated!

2. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Should be fine for the kind of video work you do if my late-06 whitebook can cope with some commercial HD stuff.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

How do you think video editing was accomplished in the past? Your MacBook is more powerful than any computer from 5-6 years ago, and they managed to edit content. If your notebook supports it, I would upgrade to 8GB of RAM. It's a cheap upgrade, and well worth it.

If you really want an upgrade, though, there's currently a quad-core i7 15" available in the refurb store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC721LL/A). That would handle all your editing needs without any trouble. It's the last-gen machine, but it's still plenty powerful and a lot of power for the money.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

My Powerbook G4 I occasionally edit videos on. :) The rendering is slow compared to my MBP but it's doable. It would run faster if I had an external drive.

btw what is a MBR?

5. BFMV409 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know why I kept saying MBR, I of course meant MBP, MacBook Pro. Also, guys on a side note. Is $1600 for a brand new 15-inch MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz i7 4/500GB MC721LL/A NIB a good deal, it also include 1-yr warranty? There's also a used MacBook Pro 15 Unibody Laptop MC372LL/A Mid-2010 for $1100 which is using 2.56 GHz and i5 Processor, same memory, RAM ext.Either of these a good deal, if so which one? The former comes to a total of $1600, and the latter a total of $1430 after taxes, shipping and a one year warranty.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The first one is an all right deal. The refurb is cheaper, but has worse graphics. I'd skip the second one: it's a dual-core processor, and for not a lot more you can get a quad-core machine that will render your video much faster.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I have the exact same MBP, though I've upgraded mine to 8 GB RAM, as well as a 7200 rpm drive. You can absolutely edit video on this machine. I edited full 1080p video on my PowerBook G4 in college. It was slow, but as long as I got the codecs right I was able to do the editing just fine and the biggest amount of slowdown was in the export. You don't at all need to get a new computer, just upgrade to 8 GB RAM and get an external drive on FireWire 800, it will help a lot.

Let me know if you have any questions, I went to school for this stuff.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ANY MACBOOK can video edit. its whether ur willing to pay extra to increase the speed of rending videos and such

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is not actually true, depending on what video format you are using. If you shoot with DV/HDV, then you NEED a firewire port to import your video, which means the MacBooks after and including the aluminum model can't do it, unless you can import on a different computer first. If we're talking about AVCHD, which is more common these days, this statement is correct, though I don't fancy editing on a Core Duo MacBook.