which memory for mac pro 1.1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by avinator, May 5, 2016.

1. avinator macrumors member

What memory I should buy for my mac pro 1.1.. Would Samsung 16GB (4x 4GB) PC2-5300F DDR2-667 FB ECC Server Memory be ok or does it have to be Apple Approved ? PC MEM interchangeable at all ?
    would this work ?
    Checking on ebay right now..... ;) Thanks

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I've put two sets of this RAM in a 1,1 and it's been working beautifully.

3. darkmac79 macrumors newbie

darkmac79

Are the Heat sinks big enough on those? How are the Temps?. Looking to upgrade my ram so looking into these. I have a 1.1 as well and just installed a airport card this morning,what a pain lol

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I use RAM with the large heatsinks, but from what I understand you can use RAM with the smaller heatsinks and it'll work ok, just run hot.

5. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

you could buy off the shelf FB-Dimms, but i would get a few sets of these to help with the heat issue.

6. mani girafe macrumors newbie

mani girafe

7. Sko macrumors regular

Sko

I'm also using cheap 8x 4 GiB server-pull RAM from a local dealer. Half of it comes from an HP server, the other half from a Dell. Was advertised at eBay for € 65, but I got a discount for pick up and they finally rounded it down to € 55.

As the modules didn't come with large heatsinks, my CPU/RAM and exhaust fans were rotating 100-150/s faster which noticeably added noise. I mounted cooper heatsinks (like these) to the AMBs and my fans are back to normal (minimal) operation.