Which memory should I buy for iMac (late 2011)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by semmiecircle, Jul 8, 2013.

1. semmiecircle macrumors newbie

I do both video and photography work, using FCP 7 and Photoshop CS5. I'm looking to switch over to the FCPX. I shoot lots of panoramas which I sell as fine art photography and recently I've been getting errors while working in photoshop that say that my memory has run out or that the scratch disks are full. I realize I do need to free up some space on my SSD with the OS, but aside from that I'm pretty sure that another 8GB of memory would help with this as well video editing in FCPX.

What kind of memory should I get?
    I know its DDR3 1333 mhz but aside from that there are different brands and some of them include other random numbers and I'm seeing many reviews where people say that it crashed their computer.
    I'm under the impression there is probably a more specific version that will work best for my computer model, anywhere I can find this info out/order this RAM?

2. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

I always have trusted and purchased from Crucial memory. They guarantee that the memory will work. I have 2 - 4gb and 2 - 8gb chips in my machine for a total of 24gb. I also use photoshop and the entire CS suite, so 24 should work well for you.

Here is a link to the memory that works with your machine assuming you are using a 27" 2011 Imac.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...uad-Core i5 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2011&Cat=RAM