Which memory to buy for G4? (Crucial or eBay)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hank-b, Jan 13, 2009.

1. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

I want to add more memory to my G4 (800MHz), first by upgrading the user-upgradable memory (I might do the other memory, but not yet). Looking at Crucial, they recommend a

512MB, 144-pin SODIMM, SDRAM, PC133 memory module (CL=3 Non-parity 133MHz 3.3V 64Meg x 64)
    (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=2C4082D0A5CA7304)

- and they charge £64 for this.

Now, I know Macs are picky when it comes to memory, but it looks like you can get the same thing (i.e. standard old laptop memory) on eBay for much less, so here's an auction for a

512MB PC133 SDRAM SODIMM 133MHZ LAPTOP RAM 144 PIN CL 3.0
    (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110337335869)

- for £17.20 delivered.

So my question is - Is there something I'm missing that's different between these two memory modules, or should I just go with the cheaper one?

many thanks,

HB

2. TrapOx macrumors 6502

eBay. Nothing wrong with eBay as long as its not EEC memory.

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

The thing to know about PC133 RAM is you have to make sure its low density. High density RAM will not work in Macs and sadly that is what is most often sold on ebay (very cheaply too).

4. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Yeah, I'd be careful about going with the cheap, eBay memory. On my G4/500 I had tons of problems after upgrading the memory; lots of crashes, hangs and "spinning beach balls". It turned out to be the cheap memory I'd installed. Better in my mind to pay for stuff guaranteed to work than to take a risk and have to buy it twice.

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Don't skimp on memory.

The chances are good that you won't have any problem with the ebay/cheap-o stuff. However, flaky memory can cause countless problems and headaches. Memory is one thing I don't mind paying a little more for because I have had to deal with the cheap stuff one to many times.

Crucial(Micron) used to be some of the better memory because they Manufactured everything, the chips and the circuit boards. However that is no longer the case for a lot of the stuff they sell.

6. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Crucial has always been really good to me. I've had a few problems, and their customer service is great, and they've always fixed my problems. I'd be skeptical about buying RAM on ebay.