Which memory upgrade for my 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hermanthekid, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hermanthekid macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac, an 8-core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, and I am looking to upgrade the RAM from the stock 2GB to 8GB. I think I remember reading that you get the best performance when you fiill all of the memory slots as opposed to just filling 1/2 of them. Is this correct? I thought you just had to install DDR2 memory in matched pairs. Is there an unlocked performance boost when all available slots are filled?

I don't forsee myself ever needing 32GB of RAM before I would sell this machine and move on to another, but I can see myself putting 16GB in it. What would be the better upgrade, installing 4 x 2GB modules or 2 x 4 GB modules? With the former I would eventually fill all of the available slots for less $ whereas the latter option would leave open the possibility of putting 32GB in it and maybe be better for resale 5-6 years down the road due to the expansion opportunity.

Am I overthinking this in trying to plan for the unknown?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yes.

but it here

You need the 800MHz variety of DDR2 FB-DIMMS with the huge heatsinks. from what i understand, with 8 modules you deal with latency. from what i understand, 4 modules is the ideal. from what i understand, the performance increase from utilizing quad channel, and the performance hit from having 8 modules may be negligible to the point where they are imperceptible to the user.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm pretty sure adding 4x2GB to your existing 2x1GB will give you the best overall performance. You probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

4. hermanthekid thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to trade in the 2x1GB modules to OWC for the rebate. Is that not a good deal? Looks like they give you ~50% of their sale price. I guess I could always sell them myself at a later date if I needed to replace the with more dense modules.

Thanks for your input.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I always keep my old RAM. Mainly for trouble-shooting in diagnosing problems later. The money they give you back never seems worth it to me.