Which Microsoft Office to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barka06, Mar 28, 2012.

1. barka06 macrumors newbie

I want to buy a Microsoft Office package for my iMac, mainly to use the Outlook function. Ive trawled forum after forum trying to solve my problem with the Mac Mail application so i can send professional looking emails for my mac to customers who use a PC without the logo i use been sent as an attachment and my company bio etc been sent in super large font.

Which leads me to people recommending i try Outlook, however i can't seem to find just an Outlook purchase so i guess i will have to have the whole package.

2 things..

Where is the best place to buy it from..ebay etc..(send any links if anyone knows of any.

Which one should i purchase..2011, 2012 etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A cautionary tale, Outlook for Mac is bug ridden...I bought 3 licences because I had to have it....In the end I ditched Outlook in favour of Thunderbird.

Before you buy, check out the MS support pages for the Mac version....Happy reading it's not.

3. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

eBay is probably the cheapest - make sure it is still sealed, but Amazon also has it at a good price from time to time.

Get the latest version - 2011 - instead of the previous version - 2008. I have both Apple Mail and Outlook, but prefer Apple Mail. I use Outlook for delegate email (this isn't in Apple Mail as far as I can tell).

4. ozaz macrumors 65816

Office 2011. There is no 2012 for Mac. You can't buy Outlook on its own. You need to get the whole Office suite. Also, you need the "home & business" version. The "Home & student" verison does not have Outlook

Trial before you buy
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac

Different from a previous comment, I have no problems with Outlook 2011. It is a bit slower than Apple Mail, but that's a small price to pay if it otherwise behaves the way you need it to behave.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also recommend trying the suite before buying, buy I agree with MacMan. Outlook is very buggy so if you don't need it, you may save yourself some headaches by avoiding it.

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Actually it is included but you need to buy the license separately.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No problems here with Outlook 2011 either but I am using it with an Exchange account FWIW.

Any site of that sort is like that. No one bothers to say "Everything's working fine". People chime in when they have problems.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is the official MS site I'm talking about, and trust me Outlook is bug laden.

9. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I have to agree that Office for Mac just isn't up to par. Buggy, laggy, never closes properly, crashes, etc.

If you have to have it, you have to have it (like I do). Just beware that it just doesn't perform like it would on a PC. (Considered just using webmail at all?)

10. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I use MS Office 2011 and never had a crash/bug/etc....