Which Mini should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cpt.N00B, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

I wanted to replace my mid 2009 15' MBP (4gb ram, 3.06 ghz, Vertex 2 SSD) with a faster mac.

I usually: (in order of frequency)

Browse the web (lots of intensive web browsing, lots of flash)
    Watch HD movies in iTunes
    Do homework in Office
    Email
    HD games (lots of gaming)
    Video editing (AVCHD 1080i Videos)

Yeah, and I want blazing fast boot up and general speed (app launch, copying, and etc).

I know the upgrade is not necessary, but I want to.

I do not want a laptop (since I have one already). I do not want an iMac, I hate the glossy screen, and don't want to use it without the protective glass. Mac Pro is too expensive, so that leaves me mini.

Which mini should I get? Which is the fastest for my need? Is apple ssd good or should I get vertex 3 from OCD (ist SATA3 supported in mini)? Is it difficult to swoop the SSD?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If gaming is important, why not just build a PC? You will have to run Windows anyway to play most games so the end result is the same, you'll simply get a lot better gaming performance.

If it has to be a Mini, then go with the $799 one.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1

You basically need a PC. Extend the budget to $1000, you'll get a great config.

As HH said if you still insist on a Mac, get the Mac mini server. It has more power and more importantly better graphics than crap Intel HD 3000.

4. Mawal macrumors regular

SATA III is supported by the mac mini, the Apple SSD is SATA II, though.

...as far as I know, there is no SATA III SSD that you can be sure of to work flawlessly with a SATA III mac. It is always trial and error.

Given your needs, I'd combine a quadcore I7 with an external graphics card, this combo is not available on the mac mini.

5. cperry2 macrumors regular