Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Looking to buy a mini and i wanted to ask what, if any, issues people know of or have had?

Im interested in the 2010-2012

The 2010 i love because it still have a disc drive

The 2011 because it is an update

2012 the same as the 2011 and im NOT sure how im supposed to install anything that comes on a disc ? Such as windows office and such??

Im looking to use a few in my media center for upstairs and downstairs along with xbmc... And with my 2 biggest 40 and 47" tv's then ill be able to use them for school and my media centers

I know a few have had video card issues or so ive read... But other than that im not sure which model/year i should choose to go with?

The 2012 have the hd 4000 in them which ive been told is the best for xbmc and certain apps as well but other than that not sure how previous years would fair?

Thanks appreciate all help

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
If you buy a 2011/2012 model you can buy an external DVD drive that plugs into a USB port http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive#product-info 3rd party drives are also available that offer the same functionality.

Thanks man! Also cant i elect to share my mac pros dvd drive? Ive got 2 drives in my mac pro and can elect to share say the bottom one to both minis ??

----------

Just got the 2012 off ebay! Cant wait to get it and load it up!

Gonna purchase a second one so i can have 2 and my mac pro and might just share screens and watch xbmc from the mac pro or turn it into a server?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks man! Also cant i elect to share my mac pros dvd drive? Ive got 2 drives in my mac pro and can elect to share say the bottom one to both minis ??

----------

Just got the 2012 off ebay! Cant wait to get it and load it up!

Gonna purchase a second one so i can have 2 and my mac pro and might just share screens and watch xbmc from the mac pro or turn it into a server?

Yeah, should be no problem. Note that some disks won't work concerning copyright limitations. More info and instructions found here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Yeah, should be no problem. Note that some disks won't work concerning copyright limitations. More info and instructions found here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US

sweet thanks man, appreciate the replys!! got the 2012, and might get an external drive for it, as the main discs i want to use cannot be used, haha go figure... gotta install stuff, but need to get that super drive i guess... or make images and install everything from an image?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
sweet thanks man, appreciate the replys!! got the 2012, and might get an external drive for it, as the main discs i want to use cannot be used, haha go figure... gotta install stuff, but need to get that super drive i guess... or make images and install everything from an image?

Not really sure what you mean...like imaging to a portable drive and transferring to the mini? It might work although getting a DVD drive sounds like the most convenient.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Yeah if u image a usb drive u can install what ever u need to from that usb but ill go the route of a super drive!! Easier !! Ill get one soon, once its all set up and getting my info from my server! I guess i could run plex a lot easier now as well?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
If you buy a 2011/2012 model you can buy an external DVD drive that plugs into a USB port http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive#product-info 3rd party drives are also available that offer the same functionality.

Lol 79$ for a crap slot loading DVD drive. Get a 20$ Blu-Ray player, much more fun for HTPC.

Oh, for XBMC, the 2009 and 2010's are as perfect. They run silent as the 9400M/320M does H264 decoding, and you can buy 2 for the price of one new. You can even upgrade the built in slot loader to Blu Ray if you don't like the external, cheaper and better working tray version. I would say the 2010 is prob best as it does not have the chunky PSU. If you upgrade that one with 7500rpm Scorpio black and slot loading BR you have the best XBMC machine you can get.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
damn should have went for the 09-10 and gotten that blu ray... dang it.. jumped the ship too soon! oh well ill get a great used 09-10 somewhere and see what it does and how i like it compared to the 2012's...

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
damn should have went for the 09-10 and gotten that blu ray... dang it.. jumped the ship too soon! oh well ill get a great used 09-10 somewhere and see what it does and how i like it compared to the 2012's...

You can buy an external bluray drive for your 2012 http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives/ although you would need to investigate 3rd party software to play bluray disks since OSX doesnt support them natively.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Not to be a royal pita but would u happen to have a link for a decent priced external blu ray ripper on ebay?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd get at least a "late 2012" Mini -- the USB3 is _the_ improvement to have.

HOWEVER -- if you're not in a hurry, and are in position to wait a little while longer, you might consider "holding out" for the next-generation Mini, which will have the Haswell CPU, faster integrated graphics, and perhaps Thunderbolt 2...

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Thanks fish! If u read above i already got the 2012 w the hd 4000 video and for what my family will use it for... It will be perfect especially for the price... Ill probably pick up a few more and retire my mac pro/ sell it/ or turn it into strictly a server??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.