which model is for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BarracksBoy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. BarracksBoy macrumors newbie

Hi there,

so in about a weeks time i shall finally have enough money for a new mbp .. i've found three solutions which potentially fit me but would like to ask the people here with more knowledge than myself for a few tips ...

so my three options are:

1. The most expensive stock 15" mbp but with a 256gb ssd and keeping the 2.66ghz i7 and 4gb ram

2. Again the most expensive stock 15" mbp but with the 2.8ghz i7, 8gb ram and the 500gb 7200rpm hdd

3. The most expensive stock 15" with the 2.66ghz i7, 8gb ram and a 128gb ssd

I will mostly use the laptop for itunes/iphoto but will also want to use bootcamp and windows 7 for some light gaming thus the 128gb ssd is not ideal.

So i would like to know which option people think would be best for me? One small addition is that i would not like to have to make any changes to the hardware myself so adding some third party cheaper ram etc is kinda out the picture.

Many Thanks for any help provided

2. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

4. 2.4Ghz i5, find a friend to handle your after the fact HDD and RAM upgrades and go on vacation with the $$ saved, or get an iPad, or accessorize your MBP (saleeve, cables/adapters, etc.).

You have no need for an i7.

3. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately 4 isn't really a viable option as i would prefer to have the 512mb gt 330m rather than the 256mb one

4. Wattser93 macrumors regular

What do you need the extra VRAM for? There was a benchmark awhile back and showed that for gaming, unless you were running 2560x1440, the extra VRAM didn't make a difference. at 1920x1080 there was little to no difference. If you want it that's your prerogative, but you can save a lot of money if you don't need it.
    Like has been said, buy a 15" i5 2.4ghz, sell the 4gb RAM, buy 8gb, sell the HDD, buy an SSD to replace it, saves you money and will run circles around an i7 with 8gbs of RAM and a 7200RPM drive.

5. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, there currently seems to be a 50/50 split between people recommending i get an i5 and upgrade or get the i7 with 7200rpm (this was posted on another forum) so i shall wait until one becomes a clearer winner but can i please ask why people are shying away from the 2.66ghz, 4gb ram and 256gb ssd? is there really a big difference with 8gb ram?

thanks

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Starcraft 2 requires atleast 512 mb of vram for anything above low-medium quality.

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

forget the apple ssd, forget the he i7. forget the 512mb vram which is just something you can boast about because it makes less then 1% difference unless you are running on an ACD.

the base 2.4 i5 with the stock drive is fine, just get an aftermarket sandforce SSD and you're all set.

8gb ram is fine but even the 2gb of the MB and MBA will suffice for itunes, so you could upgrade when you need it.

8. Wattser93 macrumors regular

If you plan on running Windows 7, 8gbs will make a big difference. Windows 7 is a memory whore so the $180 or so it costs for the 8gb upgrade will make a big difference for you, plus from selling the 4gbs of RAM you can recover some costs.
    In case it hasn't been covered, clock speed doesn't make too much of a difference for as much as Apple charges.
    Clock speed makes a difference for HD video encoding and such, but not much during day to day use.
    If I were you, I'd buy the high res anti-glare from Apple, and do the RAM and SSD yourself and sell the old RAM and HDD.
    Or you can replace your optical drive with an SSD and run it to compliment your HDD. The you can have a HDD for your large files and an SSD for your most used stuff.
    An SSD will make your Mac much faster in day to day use than a processor upgrade.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Do any of you read? The OP doesnt NOT want to do any modifications, meaning buying it the way the OP wants it. Stop offering modifications that need done and answer the question the OP asked.

And if its 1% difference why does Starcraft require it? I only have 512mb and when I take it to Ultra which is 1024mb it starts to lag graphically...

10. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok then ...

so i've worked out form all this:

clock speed isn't a real issue .. stick to the 2.66
    memory is needed if i want to run windows .. so 8gb
    and the ssd is very important for day to day speed like starting up

am i correct? or is this all us being over expensive and would the new macbook air just do the same job?

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You people really need to read.

12. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp22.html

13. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

the mba is fine too, although not upgradable and a kinda old cpu.

the 2.4ghz i5 + 8gb ram and a ssd would be the biggest performance boost, it's just that the stock apple drives suck since osx doesnt support trim they will degrade over time, a sandforce controlled ssd will remedy this for the most part, plus it's cheaper too.

14. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

brilliant so we've established that there is no real diffference for me with the gpu... however, i come to a pricing dillema now.
    my original options still seem to be the only available because even going to the 2.4ghz i5 and then adding 256gb ssd and 8gb ram takes it about the price i can do .. so unfortunately, it will have to be the original three options i presented or unless someone can magic something up with 8gb ram and an ssd for roughly the same price which i didn't spot :)

thanks for all this help guys :) although still not really made my mind up being the indecisive little man i happen to be

EDIT: could we go for the 13" ... or is a c2d really pushing the lower bounds .. this is just the only option with the 256gb ssd and 8gb ram

15. Wattser93 macrumors regular

EDIT: Saw your most recent post, my original posts stand if you're willing to do the mods yourself. And remember, you can buy the 15" now and add the SSD and RAM later when funds allow and prices drop.

Sorry I've been suggesting 3rd party upgrades for you, a lot of here are DIY people so I assumed you'd be too and didn't see that clause in your post.

The 13" Air is a nice machine, but you lose the optical drive and backlit keyboard in case that matters to you, but it's slim and more portable than a 15" MBP so that's a big plus.
    If you plan on running W7, get the 4gb RAM upgrade from Apple, the RAM is soldered so if you order 2gb you're stuck with it. It'll be worth the $100 upgrade in the long run.
    You also get a 1440x900 res screen, the same resolution as the base 15", extra screen real estate is always nice.
    Clock speed won't make too much of a difference, but the SSD that comes with it will make it a lot quicker.

"tjb1", relax, there's no need to freak out. I'm trying to help him out, and I'm pretty sure my comments have been more useful than yours. So far you've gave no support for your recommendation of the option "2", cited SC2 when he said "light gaming", and have post dumped by quoting us an telling use to read, not exactly that most constructive posts either.

16. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

i must apologise guys that this is all becoming a bit out of order with my replies, i'm not the speediest of people with the responses.

we're now down to the original three options, the macbook air, or the macbook pro 13" with 256gb ssd and 8gb ram

edit: i believe i could easily live without the optical drive and backlight keyboard .. they're just luxuries and the optical drive of another computer can be used instead like shown on the apple website

17. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i personally wouldn't want a c2d cpu in 2011 anymore, plus the HR AG screen of the 15" is *AWESOME*

you can get (and have installed at some retailers) 8gb ram and a sandforce SSD for about half apple charges. you could also check amazon if their prices are cheaper.

i'd got for '4' here as well, but of your list i'd go for '1' if you have to i guess. just feels like overpriced for the slight speed increase in the i7.

i got the base i5 nothing modified and will get my SSD once 4th gen sandforce are widely for available.

18. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok to help everyone out i shall give you a top price and see if anyone would mind taking a look around the apple store to see if i am missing anything

so my top price is: £2318.99 which is $2849.00

happy hunting! :)

EDIT: having just checked my imac 128gb is now out of the picture owing to my 100gb itunes library

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah I think real world experience means more than a software benchmark. Its double the ram, better than 1% but you can just keep living off benchmarks for all I care.

20. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok guys decision has been made

i'm gonna go with the core i7 2.66ghz, 4gb ram and the 256gb ssd and then when i become richer and have watched enough youtube videos about adding ram (and i believe apple tell you how two in one of the books it provides) i shall change that to 8gb with crucial memory.

thanks for all the help guys. some really constructive comments been made here :) this just seems to be what caters for my needs best :)

21. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Sure it is double the vram but what does that matter if the bus can't address the ladditional 256 mb fast enough for it to make a performance boost, having it sit idle in you gfx card really doesnt speed things up unless you use an external monitor.

But if you are happy wih it that's great. No need to get all ugly with unsupported claims and all. For people on a budget it might be smart to spend their $$ on things that do in fact make a difference.

22. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Agreed.

IMO spending that much money on a macbook pro just to watch youtube vids, itunes, and some gaming is a bit of a waste to say the least, but its your $$$.

Make sure to buy Applecare too. ;)

23. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

For what? Doesn't look like you're going to get any use out of it...:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp22.html

24. BarracksBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, just to clear things up, when i said light gaming, that does stretch to things such as crysis ..... haha and i'm not just getting that system due to the 512mb gt330m it's also because of the faster processor etc.