Which model Macbook pro for recording NEWBY

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conk55, May 31, 2010.

1. conk55 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    please advise as to size (is 13" too small?)
    Need a recommended model for smooth, seamless recording. A stout notebook and where to buy it.

I will initiate my recording career with Apogee one although I have a 300$ cartridge mic as well. My first songs will be guitar and vocals but I am looking forward to layering rythm section and other fun parts afterward.

Thank you for the help.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Well, if you're really interested in recording, you probably don't want a laptop at all.

You need something with a LOT of "screen real estate", especially if you're going to use a program like Logic.

You want something with a 24" or a 27" display. A 27" iMac would hit that spot, or even a refurbished 24" iMac.

Just my opinion.....

3. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

If you're just recording audio you really do not need a lot of screen real estate. I used to record using ProTools on my 12" PowerBook G4 and never felt like I needed a bigger screen. The 13" MacBook Pro would serve you very well. I do recommend getting a 7200RPM external hard drive for recording your audio on to.

Make sure the external HDD has a FireWire interface and not USB only. This is true whether you get a laptop or desktop computer. It's also true whether you get a Mac or Windows PC. Definitely get a MacBook Pro. If you really want a bigger screen, get the 15" or 17" model. It will even come with GarageBand which is very good recording software. If you need more flexibility, I hear Logic is very good and integrates well with the Mac and it will directly open your GarageBand files (since GarageBand is a stripped down version of Logic.)

Stay away from ProTools. It is good software and is the industry standard, but they are always behind on supporting the newest OSX updates from Apple.

If you decide on a MacBook Pro, look at Apple's online store in the refurbished section. You might save $200 and you'll get the same warantee as if you had bought a brand new computer.

Another reason to get a laptop instead of a desktop is this: portability. You can take it anywhere! If you have any drummer friends, well... let's just say you can move a laptop computer more easily than you can move a drum set!:cool:

4. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

"Stay away from ProTools. It is good software and is the industry standard, but they are always behind on supporting the newest OSX updates from Apple"??

That's EXACTLY why you should be using Pro Tools. If and when you get to the point where you are taking your session files into another studio for more serious tracking, you'll just have to import the session files and you're good to go .... and you will already know how to use Pro Tools which will be a LOT easier when you are in another studio.

It sounds like Pro Tools LE would be fine for you initially. I would go with a 15 inch i5 Macbook Pro. The 13 inch would work just fine, but you'll appreciate the extra real estate of the 15 quickly enough. Use firewire 800 drives to record on and you're good to go. You can add RTAS plugins like EZDrummer as you go. I'm assuming that the reason you want a Macbook is because you want to be mobile. It's good if you want to drag a couple of mics over to a friends house to record drums, piano or something like that. If and when you get more serious about it, you'll probably have to go with a Mac Pro and Pro Tools HD. That's the industry standard and you'll be able to make full on productions with that setup. That's a whole other world with plugins and virtual instruments. At that point, it's pretty pricey though.

5. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

First of all: Don't ask about the right music-production tool on a computer forum, especially not one dedicated to Apple Macs. Better try www.gearslutz.com or www.kvraudio.com.

Some hints: If you are using the laptop in your home-studio you can always connect an external screen for more screen estate.

If you are just a beginner at recording and stuff you should definitively *not* invest in an expensive product like Pro Tools. You may consider Pro Tools LE, but since you are already using the Apogee One this would mean another investment into Digidesign or M-Audio hardware.

My advice is: Don't buy anything yet, start with what you've got and learn what you really need!

Take your old computer and download a copy of Cockos Reaper (fully functional with unlimited trial time), or if you are more into loops and layers Ableton Live (either 2 weeks fully functional or unlimited with no option to save your work).

Once you found out what you are really doing with all that stuff, how much CPU power and screen estate you need and whether you prefer a classic recording enviroment (Reaper, Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, Studio One) or something more loops/live/electronics oriented like Live.

Practical advice for the person absolutely willing to buy a Macbook now: Yes, the 13" models are absolutely suffient for doing professional audio work! And yes, the bigger models are bigger in every respect (positively and negatively). I did gigs with a 15" MBP while my band-mate used a 13" MB, I'm using a 17" one now.