Which model should I get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnvt, Sep 28, 2017.

1. nnvt macrumors newbie

Hi!

Going to buy an iPhone 8+ (64gb, silver) in the US next week. I myself live in Belgium and the iPhones in the US are much cheaper than over here.

I'm currently a little confused as there are two relevant iPhone models: A1864 and A1897. My country and carrier is listed under the A1897 model (AT&T/T-Mobile model) but it seems like it has exactly the same bands as the A1864 model (simfree model in the US).

Should I be getting the AT&T/T-Mobile version or the simfree version?

Thanks

2. Phasism Suspended

Sim free if it has all your bands

3. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the official apple site https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-8-iphone-8-plus the bands for both models are 100% identical but I've heard that the AT&T/T-Mobile model is missing something to work on the other networks in the US but that shouldn't be an issue as I'm doing it the other way around right?

4. Phasism Suspended

It's missing the bands to work on cdma networks. You are fine.

5. basti_no macrumors regular

I would not recommend to buy an iPhone in the US unless you go there quite frequently. If you have a warranty issue nobody will help you in Europe. I bought once one in the US and my power button broke. Luckiliy a friend of mine went to the US and exchanged it for me.

6. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

There are really no apple stores here in Belgium just authorised resellers/service centers (called switch). I contacted them and they said that they would repair it under warranty no problem.

7. basti_no macrumors regular

That surpises me but may be Belgium is different. That time I only tried Germany and Luxembourg.

8. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

9. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

If you are buying outright definitely go sim free, you will never have to worry about compatibility no matter where you travel, it'll be nice to have that piece of mind, and the modem is slightly better in it.