which model to buy MGXA2LL/A or ME294ll/A

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trachtenberg, Dec 8, 2014.

1. trachtenberg macrumors newbie

I have the option to buy either small price difference 294 best price $2049 and $2199 for MGXA2LL/A. Will buy for my daughter doing an economic PHD program and one possible for my self where the most extent would be photo and editing. I figure 512 SDD is good but would 256 be good with external hard drives if needed. Would appreciate any input. Best prices found at B&h although adorama will bundle with 3 year apple care and cd rom drive for new model about $2443 maybe better.
    Thanks Karen

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

MGXA2LL/A is the mid-2014 15" rMBP base model (B&H currently shows $1,699 for this), and ME294ll/A is the late-2013 15" rMBP higher end base model (nVidia graphics, 512GB SSD). FWIW, this is the model I have - quite happy with it.

Much depends upon what you're using it for. If you're doing general photo work in something like Lightroom or Photoshop, or even occasional video editing, then the mid-2014 15" model will work fine. Best recommendation there is to keep all of your work on a separate drive.

If you're doing lots of video editing, or LOTS of 3D work in something like Photoshop, then the more expensive model would be better.

If the mid-2014 model had been available when I replaced my 2010 MBP, I would have taken it over the more expensive model.

3. Praesto macrumors regular

Are you afraid to go with eBay?

I ask, because I purchased mine off Ebay just recently from a guy who sells them consistantly. I purchased the most recent up to date top of the line rMBP for $2,100 with no tax or shipping necessary.

This deal beats both of yours as it is the mid-2014 with the Nvidia gfx card. The only down side is the guy takes about 1 week to actually ship the product. However he ships 2nd day air.

He also fully insures the product through UPS at retail value, adds signature requirement, and tracking confirmation.

My laptop arrived perfect, new in box exactly how you would get it from Apple. I can screenshot my ebay account to show you I purchased it from him.

I am in no way affiliated with the guy. The deal I recieved was so amazing I figured I should share it. The seller is US based and has been selling rMBP's for over a year now. Not sure how he gets them and sells them but mine is fully registered and I have already added Apple care and there are no issues.

4. trachtenberg thread starter macrumors newbie