iPad mini Which model to get ???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by triple-tap, Oct 21, 2013.

1. triple-tap macrumors 6502

So, assuming the ipad mini 2 has retina and an A7 chip, I fully intend to buy one ASAP. However, I am torn as to whether or not I buy the wifi only version or the cellular version.

I currently share a Verizon family plan with my parents, and my last ipad (Ipad 3 w/ VZW LTE) only cost an additional $10 per month. I sold that ipad, but I kept the SIM card and I haven't deactivated the line yet.

I also have a 2013 Macbook Air and an iphone 5. I have been using my iphone 5 as a hotspot for my macbook air when needed, and it has worked wonderfully. However, I miss having an ipad for certain situations (while in court as an atty., while waiting for friends in my car, while in certain meeting / classes that don't require a ton of attention on my part, etc.). Thus, I want an ipad mini. I also have a couple bestbuy gift cards laying around, so my total out of pocket cost would be only $229 for the wifi-only mini (assuming Apple keeps the same price structure).

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to get a cellular model for the extra $130? I know this is really a "whatever works best for you" kind of question, but I am curious to see what other ipad owners feel toward the cellular version vs. wifi only and iphone w/ hotspot.

2. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Dont you also have the option to share the cell connection from your iphone 5 to you ipad? That will be my plan for the various times i could need it.

3. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. That is effectively what I have been doing with the iphone 5 and the macbook air. The only difference is that my macbook air can charge my iphone while it is sucking wifi from the phone. The ipad cannot do this, so that is one concern about just getting the wifi mini and relying on the iphone 5 signal.

4. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

For the reasons you said I'm going with a Verizon ipad this time around again. I haven't used my iPad's internet a lot, but when I do it's usually fairly intensive and I just really like having the option without having to get my phone into the mix.