Which Modem??? Confused user

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aceskace, Mar 24, 2009.

1. aceskace macrumors member

Hi all,

I am sure this question has been asked before, although i couldnt find a relevant/definite answer so hoping someone can help.

I recently purchased a new 17 inch macbook pro (have been using it about a month) and have noticed the internet speed to be pretty slow, i was using a PC before this and noticed the speed to be significantly faster.

I currently use a linksys with N capability.

My question -

Whats the best modem to use with the new macbook pro?

i do download quite a bit and looking for something lightning fast. Budget is not an issue.

Most people tell me the airport extreme base station is the way to go.....can anyone confirm?

Thx in advance

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i think you may mean router not modem.

a modem is the device that actually connects to the internet (normally provided, at least in the US, by your internet provider)

a router distributes that signal inside your home. (the extreme is a router, and most linksys devices are routers, although some have a modem built in)

if you do have a linksys with built in modem, you will still have to use that to connect to the internet, but you can put an extreme in line with it.
    --
    Most home internet connections, are slower than a solid wireless G connection, So N should handle it with no problem at all.
    The only time you should see a significant difference in speed is with file transfers that are completely on your own network.
    So changing your router probably won't change your network speed.

there are several things that can affect your wireless speed, RF interference (cordless phones, microwave ovens) physical interference like walls