Which modem for Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MiniD3, Dec 15, 2014.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys,
    A friend of mine has just upgraded his laptop to a Macbook Air,
    He is using his old Modem/dongle? Not exactly sure what the correct name is?

With the old Modem, he just got a new sim card and went from there, the modem must be about 4-5 years old now

Would there be any communication/signal improvement with a new modem,

lastly, I've heard that the "stand alone" modem is a better option as it is not going to get knocked and damage the USB connection

FWIW, he had problems getting communications lately, sometimes hit and miss affair and was suspecting the modem
    ........Gary

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

There are various names for it but I call it an internet stick. The most significant update today is LTE speeds which are much quicker compared to the previous 3G. This depends if you have LTE available in your area but most cities have it by now. This will use up your monthly quota faster (if you have one) so its up to you if this is an advantage. It might have a slightly better antenna but I doubt it.

The standalone (mobile hotspot or MiFi device) is better if you want to use multiple devices or devices that only use WiFi (like a tablet). It needs to have a charged battery or be plugged in to work. Some might use USB for power, but I never checked so I'm not sure. It is definitely bigger so you need to have space for it.

The communications issue could be a bad dongle, but it could be a reception issue. Has he tried it in a different area, maybe near a window?

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Tks cruisin,

Will pass that on,
    Your idea may help, bit hard to move the laptop near a window so a remote modem may help
    ........Gary

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Get a Huawei E5776 4G/LTS MiFi device. I use one when I am not in the office or at home and it's excellent. Before I bought this device, I was using the Huawei E586 3G modem which is much cheaper but only 3G, but once again it was excellent.

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you,

His communications has slightly improved a little,
    but will purchase in the new year,
    he lives slightly remote from a major city and it is awkward to
    get to a suitable dealer so close to Xmas
    .......Gary

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If moving the laptop has improved a little then he could try to find out where the nearest tower is so to aim for it. They are usually near a main road or big stores. Look up a few images for how they look.

For a quick fix, can he get a USB extension cable? Its not ideal, but it allows the laptop to stay in place and they are not expensive.

7. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you,
    Appears he is going to get a "stand alone" modem in the new year
    Appreciates the help here
    ........Gary