Which Modem or Router/Modem to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by greenbean6, Aug 5, 2012.

1. greenbean6 macrumors newbie

I need to buy a modem and was thinking of buying a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 but i was reading reviews that said gateways (modem with built in router) actually sacrifice some speed compared to regular modems.

The Motorola SB6121 seems to get the best reviews but it max output tops out at 160 which isn't as fast as the SBG6580. And in 2-3 years wont be able to keep up.

If I did by just a modem I plan on purchasing a new Airport Express. Any Thoughts?

F.Y.I. Cox is my ISP.

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I personally don't care for gateways. Having worked on them for a few years I like the modem and router separated.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I went with a Linksys Gateway and it worked fine, but I agree with Primejimbo that going separate devices offers the most flexibility.

Currently I use a Motorola SB6120 modem and a 2TB Time Capsule.

4. pdubbbs macrumors newbie

I'm using the Motorola SB6121 with a new Time Capsule and Xfinity/Comcast as my provider. I live in a very large condo complex and receive the max speed that they advertise wirelessly and wired all day. Xfinity also charges 7$/mo to rent their modem, but I've had the SB6121 for a while now, and have had absolutely no problems with connection or anything.