Which modem-router would you recommend?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jan 26, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I'm looking at the Netgear DGN2000, does anyone have any experience of this piece of kit and is it worth parting the cash for?

Any other brands/models worth considering before I bite the plastic?

Your advice, suggestions appreciated

2. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Not sure about that particular model, but my Netgear router has been serving me well.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Belkin N+ is a bit pricey, but it's great for WiFi in every room of the house and four houses over (sometimes the only place I can get away from all the noise and commotion is the car in the driveway). I like the ability to go beyond WEP and use WPA2 for better security...

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

+1 for Netgear... excellent stuff these Netgear people make!

5. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I just worked on a Netgear DGN2000. I had a lot of trouble with the wireless portion of it, weak signal with frequent drops.

I have worked with the D-link DIR-655 and have had only one problem and that was more of a Windows XP problem (See Below), one of the best consumer routers with WiFi I have seen.

I know some will say a wireless router with integrated DSL modem saves money, I have never liked integrated modems. I would get a dedicated DSL modem and a D-link DIR-655.

The only problem I have had with the DIR-655 was with my company provided Windows XP laptop. I was experiencing Certificate errors on the WiFi connection, but once I installed the WPA2 WiFi Client Hotfix it's working great now.

6. showtime macrumors 6502

I would recommend getting a dd-wrt capable router. I've gone through netgear routers and d-link routers and one annoying problem is that I find with every router I've had is that the connection will eventually drop and I'll have to power cycle the router.

I picked up the linksys wrt54gl a couple of months ago, flashed it with the dd-wrt firmware and have yet to had my connection drop. It has been by far the most stable router I've owned plus you get A TON of features that you don't get with consumer routers.