Which modem to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karatekidk, Aug 17, 2009.

1. karatekidk macrumors regular

Hi all. I just moved into a new place and am trying to set up an internet access, which is a little more complicated than I expected. I contacted a local internet service provider and Qwest.

Apparently Qwest offers two types of modems for service. I believe one is Motorola 3347 and the other is Action tec M1000.

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/m1000/modemDetail_M1000_installation.html

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/motorola-3347/modemDetail_3347installation.html

Does anyone have those modems? If so, your impressions? Do they work well with mac?

Qwest says Actiontec one does not have wireless connectivity, but Motorola has. That means, if I get the Motorola modem, I don't need to get an Airport Express/Extreme? I would like to move around and get on internet anywhere in the house.

I'd appreciate your help, as it usually is a real pain to exchange/return a modem.

Thank you.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Just buy the internet plan pay per month and tell them you will purchase your own router. Those ones are terrible. Get a airport extreme if you can afford it, or just get a nice netgear router.

3. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, I admit I don't know anything about networking, but I think I am required to lease or purchase a modem from Qwest when I subscribe for a service...

4. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

why not call them and tell them you have one already and you thnk its better for the enviroment

5. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I am just confused. Even if I get an Airport Express or Extreme, I need a modem, right?

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Yes.

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I'm surprised they don't offer and modem-router combo box.
    Anyway, you'll need the modem from your provider and a router from a 3rd party. So you'll have two boxes.

And in mine and a few other's personal experiences, stay away from 2Wire combo boxes.

8. jeffspc88mx macrumors newbie

I had the M1000 connected to an Airport Express and it was problematic, but I think it was because my Airport express was faulty. I eventually sprung for the Actiontech M1000 wireless module, which wasn't too expensive and now the network works fine, except I found out today it doesn't support "Back to my Mac".

If you want "Back to my Mac" then check out the support page at apple.com for the list of compatible routers. You may be able to connect the M1000 to an airport express (or extreme) in bridged mode (bypassing the M1000's router and using it only as a modem) and that would (I think) solve the issue (and let you play Airtunes!).

But to short answer your question: You'll need the Motorola if you want wireless. Or you can get the M1000 and then buy the wireless module like I did and accomplish the same thing. Or you can get the M1000 OR the motorola and bridge it to an Airport router - this last option gives you Airtunes, wireless printing, and "Back to my Mac" capabilities.

If you DO get the M1000 and bridge it to an Airport express, let me know as I'm trying to do the same thing.

9. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. First of all, it was a real pain to set up the service at my place. I had to have someone come over from Qwest. Seems like having Qwest and a local independent internet provider somehow makes things a little complicated.

Anyway, after all that, I connected the M1000 and an Airport Express. It seems working fine so far.