Which Monitor for Mac Pro 1.1

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JI7, May 13, 2011.

1. JI7 macrumors newbie

I am not very clued up when it comes to technical jargon pertaining to displays/monitors etc. I am wanting to purchase a larger monitor for my mac pro 1.1. I currently have a 17" LCD and I am wanting to get a 22". Can anyone tell me what things I should be looking for to make sure that the monitor I get is as compatible as possible and will give me good performance. I use my Mac for web surfing, gaming, watching DVDs, 3D parametric modelling with Inventor on a Windows partition and much more. Are there any specs from my Mac Pro that I would need to be taking into consideration when choosing a monitor? Any help would be great.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you aren't doing anything that requires color accuracy, just stick with a cheap TN-paneled 22" monitor. There are plenty in NewEgg for instance. Make sure it has DVI but preferably VGA and HDMI as well.

3. JI7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Connect Through HDMI or VGA?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-V2200-21-5-inch-Monitor-1080p/dp/B002QQUS7G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1GKS4JE3MGI7P&colid=264VZISWD51SX

This is the monitor that I have decided I am going to buy. This is because it will fit snuggly into the space I have available, it is very reasonably priced and is well reviewed. I only have one question now; This BenQ monitor has HDMI and VGA input connections. My current monitor is connected through a VGA port/interface (whatever you want to call it). If I am not mistaken, the Mac Pro 1.1 has two DVI interfaces to connect monitors to. Here is the question: Will I get better performance by connecting my Mac to the BenQ monitor I intend to by through the HDMI port by using a DVI to HDMI lead or will connecting it up through the VGA port be just as good? If I have anything wrong there then please let me know.