Which monitor for my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pr33tz, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Which one would you go for (pricing aside)?

1. Dell 2408WFP

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. HP LP2475W

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Apple 24" LED

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. pr33tz macrumors member

I'm looking for a 24" monitor to pair with my 15" MBP and was wondering which to go for? I know the Apple 24" LED display isn't regarded as good value money but what if there wasn't a huge price difference? I've narrowed it down to the following:

Dell 2408WFP

HP LP2475W (£10 more than Dell)

Apple 24" LED Display (£60 more than Dell)

Price aside which one is the best for general internet/office usage and (amature) photo/video editing?

I'm leaning towards the ACD unless anyone can give me a reason other than price not to.

P.S. I won't be connecting anything to it apart from my MBP.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

In the UK it doesn't appear that there is such a large price difference between the Dell and the Apple displays (HP not worth mentioning IMO), so you might just be better off buying the Apple because it's LED backlit. The only downside is that it is very glossy, so if you work in a high-light environment and need color accuracy, it won't work. If you don't plan on calibrating the monitor in the first place, the Apple LED display will work fine for you.

3. Snowbound macrumors regular

If price isn't an issue for you, the ACD is a great monitor. It's essentially custom made to go with your MBP, so there wouldn't seem to be any otehr reason not to.

4. pr33tz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I'm not planning on doing any hardware calibration (simply because I don't need the colour accuracy yet) but will attempt software calibration (assuming it's worth it). Glare won't be a problem either.

Is there any reason NOT to go for the HP? I've been hearing good things about it on the forum.

5. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

The price difference between the Dell (£408) and Apple (£635) displays in the UK is £227. I would say that's a pretty big price difference IMO.

What is wrong with the HP, It gets a 10/10 review here

http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/review/2009/03/27/HP-LP2475w---24in-H-IPS-Display/p1

6. ankit macrumors member

Why not the HP? It is widely regarded as one of the best 24" monitors out there, and as far as I know uses the same panel as the ACD. I would go for either the HP or the ACD (both IPS panels), and skip the Dell (somewhat inferior PVA panel).

7. pr33tz thread starter macrumors member

Yes, if I were paying retail price then it'd be an easy choice, get the HP/Dell. I can get the Apple 24" for only £60 more than the Dell and £50 more than the HP so it's a bit more reasonable. I thought it would be between the HP and Apple monitor but I guess Dell has its fans too.

So is the Apple monitor the best technically?

8. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

for use with a unibody i would say the ACD, its what it was designed for, it expands your usb hubs, its apple standard so high quality, LED backlit which is great, and the magsafe thing is a bonus. plus it looks wicked, and will compliment your macbook pro perfectly.

9. NeoCracer macrumors member

The problem with the ACD is that the colours will not be correct and it lacks other connections for other stuff, like consoles or other computer.

But if you don't need all that, ACD is the perfect choice because it will work great with uMBP.

10. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Go for the ACD, it is magnificent and blends perfectly with the macbook pros. Top quality LED backlit screen, it also has internal 2.1 speakers which have a way better quality then the ones on the MBP.

You only need curtains on your windows to get rid of the glare ;)

11. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Honestly, if the Apple was matte i'd say go with it, but I can't stand glossy screens for desktops. It ruins the colors so much... I have a dell and I love it (yes it looks weird paired with my mac) but it was $350 instead of $800, and it's got a higher color gamut than the apple

12. Z06jerry macrumors regular

+ built-in iSight camera. I use an external monitor now without camera, and I am constanly looking away from the people I am video conferencing with because my camera is not on my main display when I am using my MBP as a desktop. I will be switching my 24" Dell for the 24" Apple LED display in the near future.

13. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

Don't expect to get an unbiased response from an Apple fan forum ;)

14. Z06jerry macrumors regular

^^^ I am an owner of a 24" Dell monitor. :rolleyes:

15. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

At refurb price, $699, you'd be hard pressed to find a LED-backlit H-IPS panel for anywhere near that price. Seriously. Yes, its glassy, and yes it's expensive, and no its not meant for professional use, but those are some damn good parts in that monitor. Low energy usage, fantastic colors, amazing viewing angles, and isight/speakers/usb/magsafe as an added bonus... I'm more than pleased with my purchase.

16. pr33tz thread starter macrumors member

Interesting replies so far. So am I right in thinking the gamut on the ACD isn't as good as the HP/Dell?

17. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

check this out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-679432.html

and

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=723315

the first is a link to to a thread to this very question, and the second is all about color gamut, and the dell you in question. Gamut for the 24" ACD is on par with the gamut of the 30" ACD panel, which is pretty darn good for consumer use, IMO. LED > CCFL, no question. Gamut is up to you, and wide or not depends on whether you will use it in a 100% color-managed workflow. PVA vs IPS is subjective as well; IPS are typically more expensive, if you want to use that as a reference, but each serves its purpose.

18. pr33tz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I've decided to go with the ACD. I'll see how I get on.

Apart from the MBP's, can the ACD be used with a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro?

19. Freyqq macrumors 68040

only the newest ones with the mini-display port..which is why i wouldn't recommend the ACD. If you ever want to use it on another computer, you don't have the compatibility of DVI with the dell and hp. You know DVI will be supported for the next 10 years, but no one knows about mini-dp.

20. pr33tz thread starter macrumors member

Oh man! I don't have a Mac Mini or Mac Pro yet but it would be nice to have the option for the future. Back to the drawing board for now. :(