Which Monitor?

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Hey. I am considering getting a monitor for my Macbook and was wondering if anyone knew if there is a monitor that has dual DVI inputs so that I could connect my Macbook and either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 and have full HD gameplay?

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
sorry. I didn't mean it in that way. what I want is a monitor with a res of 1920x1200 that has 2 DVI inputs - One for my Macbook, one for a HD console.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You could try a Dell Ultrasharp. Those usually have a crapload of inputs. :cool:
Yes but none of them have two DVI inputs. You have to know the OP wants to hook two DVI plugs into one monitor, at least that is how I read it.
What you want is a DVI splitter. I use it at work for dual dell screens and it's ok. I don't know about gameplay, but hey...I don't game at work!

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Yes but none of them have two DVI inputs. You have to know the OP wants to hook two DVI plugs into one monitor, at least that is how I read it.
What you want is a DVI splitter. I use it at work for dual dell screens and it's ok. I don't know about gameplay, but hey...I don't game at work!
Yeah, I've seen a ton of computers/cards with dual DVI out but I can't remember seeing a monitor with dual DVI in. Usually you use a splitter/switcher for that.

I'm not sure what the point would be anyway, as it would be like having the switch built in to the monitor and the only advantage to that would be that the button to do the switch is on your monitor instead of on the desktop beside it. Hardly seems worth it.

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Oh. Ok. I'll check out the Dells. Does anyone think that the ACDs will be updated and have 2 dvi inputs?

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
In that case, if I got a monitor that had DVI and Component, I could connect my Macbook via DVI and an Xbox Elite or PS3 via Composite?

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
I have a BenQ FP241W. Not only is it an excelent display, but comes with a complete zoo of connection options...

One DVI-D Input
One Analogue Input
One S-Video Input
One Composite component Input
One HDMI Input

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Many displays, in addition to DVI, will have a VGA (DB-15) analog video input, which supports up to 1080p (or even higher if the output hardware supports it). I know the 360 has VGA-out, but I'm not sure about the Wii and the PS3.

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
I have a BenQ FP241W. Not only is it an excelent display, but comes with a complete zoo of connection options...

One DVI-D Input
One Analogue Input
One S-Video Input
One HDMI Input
That would be ideal wouldn't it?

One DVI-D Input-----Macbook
One Analogue Input
One S-Video Input
One HDMI Input-----PS3/Xbox Elite

Thanks very much for that everyone, especially MacsAttack. :)

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
There is also the BenQ FP241WZ - an updated version of the same monitor. it is a bit more pricey. I have not seen one myself, but it sounds like it is jsut as good as the one I have. Best to check out the full specs and decide if you need the extra gizmos they added...

I had problems getting hold of the W - they were so popular that it was hard to find any in stock.