Which Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFanUK, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I really love the design of the Apple 24" Cinema Display, I like glossy displays, and I really do want to get one (well 2 really) and having looked on the UK HE Store Website, I can get them for £528 each.

However, I will be buying a Macbook Pro next month for uni, and then I will buy a Mac Pro or iMac when they get updated next year - in the meantime I will be using my Hackintosh as my main desktop.

As I said, I would ideally like 2 x 24" ACD's but I know this isn't possible (at least at the moment) as there are no PC graphics cards that work with the ACD and there are no ways of connecting 2 ACD's to a MBP. So my question is:

Should I buy 1 ACD now (to use with the MBP) and another screen to use with my Hackintosh or should I just buy 2 Dell 2408WFP's and forget the ACD's?

I was originally against the Dell's because new, they cost £550 so it would be cheaper for me to get an ACD, but I have seen them on ebay for around £325 - £400.

I also considered getting cheap TN screens as I have currently got a Samsung 2333sw which is a TN screen and is great, but I think I'd be better off with a better quality display.

2. RasterScan macrumors member

RasterScan

I too love the Apple 24" display but the Dell is very nice. You have many more input options on the Dell. I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm selling my iMac and will be using my MBP as my main Mac.

3. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I have the Dell 24" 2408WFP and I have to admit I got it over the Cinema screen ONLY because the Cinema screen has been out for almost half a decade. I was hoping they'd release revision this year but nothing.

The reds on the Dell burn and I'd love to swap as the screen on my MBP has much nicer color and overall much more comfortable to work with.

Very disappointed as there hasnt been a sniff of anything to come relating to Cinema screens, the most recent story even mentioning the product range was like Feb

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Ok, I've been giving this a lot of thought.

On one hand, I feel the ACD is a much better display because it's LED instead of LCD and has a glossy screen (which I like). However, the lack of inputs is starting to bug me. Mainly that if I for any reason, end up going back to using a pc, my nice new screen will be useless.

On the other hand, I don't know what the possibility of me going back to PC is - it's happened before, but I keep coming back :D....Maybe the ACD is what I need to convince me to finally stop switching and changing.

As I say, I currently have a Samsung 2333sw which is a TN based panel but it's great. I've had no problems with it at all and the colours are great....and it's Matte.....I guess all it can ever boil down do it Matte vs Glossy :S

5. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Both monitors are LCD, LED "Light emitting diode" on the cinema display refers to the back lighting and not the actual screen. The Samsung monitor uses CCFL back lighting.

6. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Great new monitor added to your list of options. I was browsing hardware yesterday at the Dell site for work purposes as I need a new machine, and under business I spotted the new 24" IPS monitor on sale.

I cant seem to find it on the U.S site yet (I'm in New Zealand) but a search revealed it was announced first in Dell Japan. The pricing is almost the same as my current 2048WFP so I'd be very keen to see the reviews start coming in!

Dell U2410

http://www1.ap.dell.com/nz/en/busin...aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=bsd&cs=nzbsd1

If Apple doesnt release some new ACD's soon this is going to be sitting on my desk, just wish the stand wasnt so ugly, the 2408WFP has an awesome solid looking stand