Which monitors should I get to replicate this setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by econ, Jan 6, 2017.

1. econ macrumors newbie

econ

[​IMG]
    Hi! I'm looking to replicate the above setup. Hear me out:

At work I have an 27" Retina iMac run in 2560x1440 mode, and a 24" vertical display in 1080x1920. I use my 13" tMBP as a communication device, Skype and what not.

I'm looking to replicate the setup at home, but powered by my 13" tMBP instead. I ordered the Ultrafine LG 5k but that means I'd have to give up the vertical monitor. I'm trying to figure out whether the 5k + performance hit is worth the trade off for the screen space.

Do you guys have any suggestions on which two monitors I should get? I obviously would like sharpness on the big main monitor, but I'll learn to live with it not being 5k. I just want a sense of the tradeoff. Money's not an issue, except I can't upgrade the 13".

Thanks!

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Not sure about 5K monitors, but there's a bunch of 4K monitors that will rotate. That way you'll get razor-sharp text on both. And off the 13", not sure you can run a 5K, a 4K and the internal display, though you can do two 4K plus the internal.

3. econ thread starter macrumors newbie

econ

That's a really good idea! Thanks, I'll go check out some links.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    Additional questions - are there issues on running 2560x1440 on a 27" 4k display? I've heard negative things about it, although nothing I can put my finger on. Thanks for your help!

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Can't answer that, actually. I don't own a 4K (or 5K) display though I do have a 4K TV which I've actually never plugged my MBP in to. I'll give it a try, though not sure the results on a 55" display will translate well to a 27" display.