Which mouse do you edit with?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheBeastman13, Sep 6, 2014.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

Any recommendations as to which mouse is a good purchase for long periods of editing video and photos?

Thank you

-B Eastman

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Contour Design shuttle pro v2 + any mouse on hand. (+ a wacom tablet if I'm using one or two large monitors)

4. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I still have my logitech mx revolutions on two different systems

haven't failed me yet the past 5 years or so

I also use them on a whole lot of other programs

5. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Any mice that are suited for lefties? The Logitech Performance mX looks like a comfortable choice I could learn to love, but I prefer left handed use.

I was thinking of buying the Apple Magic Mouse. Any thoughts on this choice?

Thanks, Everyone, for your input.

6. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

not enough buttons for complex software which could use the functionality

also, touch surface on the magic mouse can be annoying if not deactivated

7. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I use my built in trackpad on my MacBook and my Magic Mouse on my imac.

8. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

I edit video for three-five hours per session, and using my index finger on the track pad makes my finger tingle and go mildly numb around the second knuckle. I have to get a good mouse for my extended period of editing.

----------

I just ordered a Logitech Performance after watching a couple reviews.

Hopefully the ergonomic design will alleviate this numb feeling I get from using a track pad so much these last three years...

9. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Yes, I don't like the trackpad either. I do like using the Magic Mouse though. Let us know what you think of your new mouse! I need a new one.

10. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

11. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Interesting, I can use the track pad for days on end without issue while mice bothers my wrist after a couple hours. I do use several fingers, however. I love the use of gestures to scroll though video, but its a subjective area. Its nice to have choices. I use the rPBP built in trackpad and a magic trackpad for my MacPro when I'm in the office. I haven't used an old school mouse in years. Oh wait, I sometimes use a mouse on my windoze machine as its trackpad sucks big time. That one give me a back ache :)

12. cebseb macrumors regular

I use the Kensington trackball! It stays in one place and my fingers and thumb do the moving. Wrist is also spared from excess repetitive motion.

13. Unami macrumors 6502a

i use a 6€ cable-bound logitech mouse (b100) with a clicking scroll-wheel (so i can use it for e.g. zooming in 5 clicks and out again in after effects). works on both hands so i can occasionally switch on those tiring 10-hour+ editing sessions.

i've tried numerous solutions (wacom pad, "ergonimical" mice, contour shuttle pro,... ) but they take your hand away from the keyboard and usually don't have enough buttons for all necessary shortcuts - so you have to move between this and keyboard anyway. when your editing gets faster, you'll want to avoid that.

imho, nothing beats a full size keyboard (with number keys) and a simple, but well working mouse. if you have your shortcuts figured out, you might not even need one very often - i was using fcp7 with both hands on the keyboard most of the time - but with fcpx and it's skimming features and magnetic timeline a mouse comes in handy again.

14. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

I know a few short cuts for FCE4. I have a wired appl keyboard with numerical pad, so I usually have one hand on the keyboard, and the other using the track pad for scrubbing or drag&drops.

This mouse I order has four programmable buttons, so I'm hoping it will further increase my editing speed and efficiency.

15. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I personally use a Gibabit gaming mouse. Gaming mice are designed for comfort over long periods of time and come with the beauty of extra buttons which always come in handy within an editing environment.

I love my Magic Mouse for everyday use but can't stand it for gaming or editing as it's precision is just not nearly what it needs to be for anything but average use.

16. nep61 macrumors 6502

Wow! There are others out there!

I edit professionally 10-14 hrs a day... There are 9 other editors here where I work... I'm the only one who uses a trackball (Kensington Pro) and I'm the only one who doesn't complain of wrist or hand pain. And I've been told I'm the fastest editor here...
    Coincidence, I think not.

17. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Mouse just came in. It is a pretty slick device. It's pretty much plug in and use. You can go to logitech's website and download the utility to use the intricate functions of the mouse and customize the buttons in System Preferences.

I still find myself reaching for the trackpad to move about, so that's a habititual motion I'll have to break. But in terms of the mouse's ease of use, I'm already loving it. Combined with some short cuts, and the on-mouse button combos, I'm already navigating my computer more quickly than before.

I do need to get a mouse pad, I think. Currently, I'm using the wooden slide out drawer to glide the mouse on. I feel like I'm needlessly scruffing up the mouse's base pads.

Attached Files:

18. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

It looks pretty cool! The trackpad on the unibody MacBook is definitely better for editing, but that mouse will be even better.

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Magic Mouse... but for awhile now I've been using the Magic Trackpad. Not the best for wrist health, but if it gets tired I switch sides.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I have a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse.

Cheapest Bluetooth Mouse that wasn't one of those mini notebook/travel mice when I was at the store. It's actually really quite comfortable. I just wish the touch pad was programmable on Mac OS and supported front and back swipes in addition to up/down.

21. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I think I'm the only one who uses it as much as I do, but I love the mouse that came with the Intuos 3. It's so precise. Not sure if the future Wacom mice were as good and it's a shame they don't bundle it anymore. Of course I use the pen frequently, but the mouse is my go to input device.

I actually dug the original Magic Mouse because the scroll ball was pretty awesome for shuttling through timelines. Until it frequently got all gunked up with dirt.

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how are you liking the mouse? Glad you made the switch?

23. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm enjoying. The new mouse has made long editing sessions much more relaxing for my hand/wrist, and the precision has sped up my editing capabilities.

Glad I spent the $75 for the mouse.