Which mouse do you use with you MB/MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragonforce, May 5, 2010.

1. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

I was looking for a mouse to go with my new MBP, but most of them have a tiny, little receiver which occupies one of the USB slots - and which makes things worse... it partially blocks the 2nd USB slot, USB sticks won't fit, even my USB headset doesn't plug in all the way... this renders the 2nd USB port completely useless. (Thank you Apple for an obvious design flaw)

Right now I'm using the new Logitech Anywhere MX - its a nice mouse, I love the hyper-scrolling feature and its size. It also looks pretty solid and feels nice to the touch - but there's this receiver...

I also tried the Magic Mouse... I wouldn't use that one because it has no 2nd physical button, and I need to have that for occasional gaming.

Right now I'm looking around for Bluetooth mice. I found three of them that are looking promising:

1 - the Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 5000. It has 4 Buttons (left, right, wheel, side) and looks pretty nice, but the wheel makes a HORRIBLE sound when you turn it. Its really loud and sounds metallic. Its hard to describe but thats a real deal killer.

2 - the Logitech m555b. It has 3 buttons (left, right, and one BEHIND the wheel) and features this really nice hyper-scrolling. However, it has no middle-click on the wheel, if you press it down, it switches the scrolling modes. It looks cheap imho. And it has no side buttons.

3 - the Razer Orochi. It has 7 buttons (left, right, wheel, 2 left side, 2 right side) and has the most features and high DPI. However, it seems that this mouse goes to sleep after 2 seconds when being idle... then it needs a second ot two to wake up and re-establish the BT connection. I certainly don't like that.

So, what kind of mouse do you use - wireless, wired, Bluetooth ? Which one can you recommend ? Name yours ;)

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Can't you make the magic mouse into 2 clicking buttons?

3. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

You can, however you still have one physical button. To make the MM register a right click, you have to lift your left finger and click with the right side of the mouse.

You can't hold down the right button for example and do a left click at the same time with the Magic Mouse.

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Sadly, I really like to Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse. Though I don't always like the stuff the kids in Redmond are doing, I really do like this mouse.

5. Chromide macrumors newbie

Don't have it yet but I personally plan on grabbing this....

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169419000 (can get it for about $10 cheaper on amazon)

But I don't plan to just use it on the MBP.... Several computers at work as well as a backup for my desktop.

I also really like razer products....so I am willing to pay a premium for them.

6. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

And the wheel doesn't annoy the hell out of you ? I had this mouse once, and I sent it back the same day.

The mouse is going into the sleep-state every 2 seconds of being idle and needs 2 seconds to wake up... in that time you can't click, scroll or move the cursor. IMO that kills the whole mouse, especially for gaming. The MS and Logitech Bluetooth mice take 10 seconds before going to sleep.

You can use it with the USB cable which eliminates the problem, however it arises another... it will block one USB port and renders the 2nd one useless again

7. Chromide macrumors newbie

8. Ann P macrumors 68020

I got myself a wireless mighty mouse when I first purchased my laptop. It's not ideal for gaming but its perfect for my everyday use. :)

9. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Its a well known "problem" - the Razer support says that this is done intentional to conserve battery and they won't change it with a firmware update. You can read about this in many reviews on different sites.

As much as I like the Mighty Mouse, it having only one physical button is a no-go for me. Two buttons minimum is a must, 3 would be nice.

10. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

11. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Thats actually a good idea, haven't thought about that yet. I'd still like to have some kind of wireless mouse w/o a receiver and full access to both USB ports tho. Thank god I recently replaced all my external HDDs from USB to Firewire 800, or I would be in serious trouble.

12. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

My favorite Mac gaming mouse: black Razer Diamondback 3G with red glowing LEDs. I don't think they sell them any more. Glad I bought more than one.

13. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

14. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

I have a magic mouse for my normal daily use and i have a Logitech G9 for gaming.

15. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I vote for this one too, and if your going to complain it goes to sleep when your gaming then you should not be using a wireless mouse in the first place.
    I have an Orochi and it's the best mouse I've had, fantastic build quality, tons of features and settings and Razer have announced FULL Mac support, in fact they launched an updated driver 2 days ago that gives you access to macros etc.
    But if you play FPS games, then it's way better then any Logitech because the wheel is a proper one, I had the VX Nano and it is utterly useless trying to use the micro gear wheel to select weapons.

Anyway, if you don't want a bluetooth mouse then you HAVE to have a dongle of some description. So you don't have a choice really.
    IMO, if you want a gaming mouse you can't beat Razer.

16. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Ive been using my wired logitech g5 but I plan on getting a Razer in the near future.

17. RafMac macrumors regular

Apple's new Magic Mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. Love the surface scrolling, no more cleaning the dirty ball.

18. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

There are a a number of threads on this already. I use the Logitech V450 Nano Cordless, it's perfect for me. Yes, the nano receiver takes a USB port, but it doesn't block the other USB port on my unibody MB. I tried using a Mighty Mouse but wasn't happy with it or with the whole bluetooth experience.

19. subroutines macrumors newbie

This is my personal experience of the Magic Mouse so take it with a grain of salt. I like the magic mouse for all of its positives that have been repeated so many places but the thing that bothers me the most, is the shape and flatness of it. I also have the logitech mx revolution for my imac and it is great. Unfortunately, because of the work i do with graphics and programming, this mouse is not suited for long term use (my hand does get crampy), at least for me. I purchased the MX Anywhere and plan on selling the Magic Mouse which i hate doing since I got it free with my imac (even though i use it for the macbook pro). With all of the nice features the Magic Mouse has it ought to be ergonomic.

Like someone said, you can program the mouse to be left and right clickable.

20. quixoticboi macrumors newbie

21. Skika macrumors 68030

+1

22. Betelgeuse macrumors member

I'm not sure how helpful this is to you (since you've already expressed your unabashed hatred for it :) ), but I sure do love my MS 5000 mouse. It's just the right size, has great battery life, a well-placed fourth button, and seems pretty durable. I don't notice the wheel noise that much and I actually sort of like the clicky-ness of it. So, either you got a lemon when you got your MS 5000 or you're much more sensitive to the noise than I am.

Actually, now that I did a quick search on newegg, I've found that there are two mice that MS (confusingly) gives the same model number. The one that I'm using is *specifically* the notebook one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=microsoft_5000-_-26-105-238-_-Product)

Actually, when I got it, it was quite a bit cheaper than it is now and I thought it was a FANTASTIC deal (I got it for ~$20 and it's $32 now). I still think it's worth it, but other mice are probably worth consideration if they're not a lot more expensive. The inexpensiveness of it is actually something I like. I tend to be pretty careful with my things, but if I'm going to be carrying around a portable mouse, I'd like it to be replaceable for $20-$30 instead of, say $70 (for the magic mouse).

23. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Well, it HAS to be Bluetooth because I want 100% access to the 2 USB ports on my MBP.

Now honestly, how bad is the lag / reconnection time with this mouse ? Lets say I'm reading a web page, and after a few secs I need to scroll down a bit... how long do I have to move it around until it picks up the connection again ? Most of the reviews only say that it goes to sleep after 2-3 secs, but they don't say how long it takes to reconnect.

Thanks.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use something called a trackpad. ;)

Or a Performance Mouse MX.

25. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

As much as I love my trackpad - its simply unusable for even basic gaming, and with Steam coming soon, go figure.

I do have the Performance Mouse MX on my Mac Pro - great mouse, love it. It still has this Unifying Receiver which kills both USB ports on my MBP, so it HAS to be a BT mouse.

Most likely I'll give the Razer Orochi a shot. I'll just return it if I don't like it.