Which mouse for my new MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr.Bullitt, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

Hi guys!

As I have now been a MBP owner for about a month, I feel that it is time to get a mouse. But which one?

I tried the Apple Mighty mouse in the store, but it feel weird coming from a Logitech MX1000.

The "nibble" is odd and the mouse itself feels a bit small in my hands.

I understand that Logitech has a "nano" series of laptop mice, that has a tiny USB receiver that you just plug in and leave it there.

As far as I know, these mice can also be had in a Bluetooth version designed for Mac.

I think I read somewhere that these bluetooth mice required re-assignment every time that you replace batteries - is that true?

Thanks

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I use two mice with my MBP: a wired mouse for home use and bluetooth from when I am out.

Since I like to buy in a budget, I picked up RocketFish Mac mice:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...mouse&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1206141459342
    (Thats links to the wired version. Can't seem to find bluetooth one listed)

They work great and feel wonderful. They are basic mice, but that is all I need.

If you want to go with something more high grade, I would go with Logitech. They usually have OS X drivers for all their mice (wired or wireless) that work quite well. While just about any USB or bluetooth mouse will work, any extra buttons (beyond left, right, wheel, and wheel click) will probably not work properly. This is because Apple doesn't allow customization of 3rd party mice, hence why you need drivers. There is a 3rd party app the allows you to completely customize any mouse connected to your mac, but the name escapes me ATM. Believe it was around $25 per license. Works very well though (it comes with 30 day trial so you can see if you like it).

As for the mice with tiny USB receivers: they are nice, but remember that you have to deticate one of your two (three if you have UMBP) USB ports. I have enough issues with not having enough USB ports (have two USB hubs at home for when I need them), so I passed on them.

PS As a heads up, we had a thread about Bluetooth mice a while back. Might be worth a read:
    Bluetooth Mouse guide for Mac OS X

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

There's a couple of misunderstandings and misperceptions already on this thread.

Logitech's mice labelled Nano are the ones with the Nano receivers, which are extremely small. These are not available in Bluetooth. I believe the only mouse that Logitech sells that has separate BT version is the MX Revolution and you have to pick that up as a part of a keyboard and mouse set. So no, no special BT Mac versions.

Logitech's drivers and customization software used to be atrocious on the Mac side, but I hear they're getting better.

There are two 3rd party driver solutions if you want to customize your mouse - USBOverdrive and SteerMouse. Both are excellent. I prefer SteerMouse.

This question is asked and answered on a weekly basis. If you use the search function, you can read for yourself what mice might meet your needs.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I love the MX Revolution and find that both SteerMouse and Logitech's default control center are fine. I have the non-bluetooth version and it is definitely fine for me. If you need gaming-esk features I believe Razr just introduced a new bluetooth gaming mouse set to be released in September.

5. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

I've had the VX Revolution for about a year:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/165&cl=us,en

I initially was looking for something with bluetooth but there wasn't much available with it that also had a comfortable grip, multiple buttons, and reasonably priced. The USB receiver on the VX stores inside the mouse automatically turning it on/off when it's removed/pushed back in. Awesome range too. I used it in my classroom thirty feet from my laptop while doing lectures and never had a problem with reception. One of the other posters said that their software had been bad in the past but the included software made it easy to customize the buttons. I've had no issues with it. The website says $70 but I've seen it for less than $50.

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

7. Mr.Bullitt thread starter macrumors regular

What is peoples general opinion of the Apple Mighty Mouse??? Or the Logitech V550 nano?

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I dislike the Mighty Mouse because of its scroll wheel. I have the Logitech VX Nano and it has the best scroll wheel in my opinion.

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yo dude. Use the search button. This thread happens every two weeks and you'll find plenty of discussions of dozens of people discussing the pros and cons of all sorts of mice.