Which MSN Client 2011?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BrerSam, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BrerSam macrumors member

Is still adium the best client? I don't really use video or sound so not much of a problem but can't really use the official client because the offline messenger not being there.

aMsN is good i think but it is ugly and annoying to use, i never seem to get into adium because i only use Skype and MSN so don't really need the multiclient options

What do people use?

2. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Recently Adium started supporting direct file transfers over MSN, so right now, it is still the best MSN client, IMO.

The official client is clunky and iChat doesn't support it (unless someone comes up with a MSN Service plug-in for it in Lion).

3. BrerSam thread starter macrumors member

I don't mind adium too much but it REALLY annoys me i can't seem to see peoples display pics and i can't see theres.

I also can't change my name on it, maybe im doing something wrong but i can't figure it out at all.

I wish ichat supported it i might use it then!

Skype is what i prefer but i need msn just for one contact -_- and they won't change

4. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I like aMSN. Tried Adium, Mercury Messenger, and Microsoft Messenger. I couldn't get into Adium. Didn't care for Mercury Messenger. The latest version of Microsoft Messenger is decent, but I think it's pretty bad for an official client.

I'd say aMSN is the best, but it's just my opinion and what I'm used to. It's a little "ugly", but is very customizable. So it can be turned into something better looking if you fool around with the settings enough.

I'd like to see Beejive create an IM client for Mac. They've done a nice job on iOS. If they made one for OS X, I'd buy it.

5. LastLine macrumors 65816

I'm still hoping for a video capable MSN client n

6. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

aMSN does that. But it doesn't work with people using the latest version of WLM on Windows. However, Microsoft Messenger 8 for Mac is video capable and it works with the latest version of WLM.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

8. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I still use Adium, nice choice of extra's and with imgur and other online filesharing sites readily available these days I see little need to have direct IM transfers.
    :apple:

9. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I have some family members who refuse to sign up to Facebook/Twitter so MSN is my only means of internet communication with them.

10. calvingsc macrumors newbie

Using Mac Messenger 8. It disconnects itself all the time. Anyone facing this problem? Amsn has been pretty old right? Still 0.9.8. No new versions?