Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdctaylor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I've had a Canon MF4150 for a couple of years. I used to share it out from my wife's Mac. Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard the printer will not share out. I've been around and around on forums and with Canon support. Basically, their Snow Leopard driver suuuuuuuuuuuucks and it doesn't look like they are going to fix it.

I'm done waiting and I need a good laser multifunction. I don't want to hassle with sharing it from a computer any more so I plan to get one that is network enabled. Wireless is a plus, but if I found a superior printer than only had ethernet I'd run a drop for it (although I do not relish going under my house again).

I'm really taking a hard look at the Brother MFC 7840W. You can see it HERE. It goes for $299 locally or $279 at Newegg. It reviews well, but I've never owned a Brother product. Opinions? Also, it has a replaceable drum, which I'm unsure about. My Canon has been going for a few years and I've never replaced the drum. I have no idea if have an easily replaceable drum is a good thing or not.

The other MFCs in this price range that I've found do not have wireless, but I'm willing to consider them if I get glowing recommendations. They must be (1) networkable, (2) work well with both OS X 10.6 *AND* Windows, (2) be monochrome laser.

I'd *LOVE* to have your input/thought on this. THANKS in advance!

or here:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I have an earlier version of that Brother and it's been working well for several years. Networks just fine (although since SL I haven't been able to get network scanning from the printer to work--when activated at the printer. It still works when I hit "scan" on the computer).

The plastic feels a bit cheap, but overall the printer has been very solid and relatively low cost (the $60 toner does get 2500+ pages). Documentation is a bit lacking, but the website helps out.

mrdctaylor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Actually, I'm referring to the drum and not the toner cartridge. Unless I am the one confused, which is possible. :)

But that's good to know. Thanks!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Actually, I'm referring to the drum and not the toner cartridge. Unless I am the one confused, which is possible. :)

No, I'm confused.

The drum on the MFC has lasted 10 months as well. Before buying it I used a Brother 2140 laser printer for years and never had to replace the drum (and I think I replaced the toner 3 times, which is fairly good for the quantity of printing I was doing).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Brother toner cartridges last a long time. I'm still on my "starter" toner after 10 months.

I could be on a starter toner cartridge for years, it is relative to how much you print so tell me, how many pages have you printed on your starter cartridge?

As for the OP, I think worrying about the life of the drum is very important. The only brother I've used jammed quite often but parts never broke. I printed thousands of pages a week.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

But that's good to know. Thanks!

I have not. I think the drum lasts about 3x-4x the length of the toner. I've gone through 3 or 4 cartridges and haven't gotten to the drum yet.

There's a web admin utility that tells you when each is running low. I think the drum is listed for about 10000 pages.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely looking at the MFC-8890DW or MFC 7840W for our next printer. Ugly as sin, but they get the job done.

Laser, wifi, duplex for both printing and scanning, all-in-one, auto document feeder and good OSX drivers are hard to beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.