Which Multimedia Hard Drives Should I Take?Apple TV or ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alan1708, Aug 9, 2010.

1. alan1708 macrumors newbie

alan1708

First thread for my first post here :)
    I plan to buy multimedia hard drive , Which is the best for now? I prepared some money around 200-300$ . I found the LaCie LaCinema Classic HD 1TB and compared the Apple TV 160 Gb it costs the same price around 229$ but which one is the better one..Really need advice..maybe you could give the other HD Player if you have one..other brand, or model.. just let me know.. thanks

2. sportster macrumors 6502

I have a 40gb AppleTV. I really like it. But, I do not store media on it. I stream everything wirelessly from my iMac. The only complaint, kinda a big one, that I have is all the video have to be converted to work with it. I wish it was able to use more typical downloaded file types.

I don't have any experience with any other type of media server. I was thinking of picking up a used Mac Mini, but the cost was a bit more...

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

What about a previous-gen Mac Mini with an aluminum remote and a 750GB hard drive?

4. alan1708 thread starter macrumors newbie

alan1708

Somehow I want the HDMI port usage

5. alan1708 thread starter macrumors newbie

alan1708

can we play the .mkv file on Apple TV?

6. alan1708 thread starter macrumors newbie

alan1708

7. sportster macrumors 6502

No I believe not. You are very limited on what you can play on the Apple TV. I use Handbrake to convert videos I want on it. m4v is all it can do without hacking it. I have read about some hacks that open the door for about any file type playback.