Which nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ddollar, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

Ok i have an iphone but i decided i want to get a nano for use at the gym but i dont know which one to get. I can get a 2nd gen 8gb refub for $150 or i can get the 3rd gen for $200 which one should i get is the 3rd gen really that much better i wont be using the video function on that tiny screen. For people that have both which do u think feels better in ur hand? Or should i just get the classic considering i have no harddrive player sold the 5.5 to get the iphone i defintley dont need 80gbs but can never have to much space.

2. adrake86 macrumors regular

Whatever one you wanna get. Just get the cheaper one they come out with ipods each week.

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

If the video doesn't matter, then it all depends on which interface and look you like. Some prefer the new colours and looks of the 3rd gen nano, while some prefer the old ones. Also, the interface between the two is quite different. Personally, I prefer the 2nd gen for gym or just walking around the streets or something. I have a black one and I never loaded album covers on it. I just like its simplicity and shape. It's easier to slip into pockets because it's narrower and it's easier to navigate with one hand since it's not as wide. The click wheel is also smaller on the 3G nanos.
    Another point to consider, the 2G nanos are quite scratch resistant while the metal back of the 3G nanos are very prone to scratches.

4. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

well i decided i am going to get the 2nd gen my friend has the 3rd gen and i dont really like how it feels. With the $50 i save im going to get nike plus for running. Now black or red :p hmmmmm

5. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

smart choice, the 2g nanos are much better then the 3g in my opinion -- and go with black

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get Red it's for a good cause.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I have a 3G Shuffle for when I'm at the gym, it's tough and does take up much space. IMHO I'd go for a shuffle if you're planing on using it just for the gym, it will last longer.

8. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

well the nano has added appeal because of nike plus, i ended up getting the 2nd gen red nano 8gb brand new turns out the new black on clearance is the 1st gen so i got the red since its nice and for a good cause should be here hopefully by the weekend anyone know what apple uses to ship ups or the post office i have standard shipping

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Don't get the same one I have, I want to be special.
    :cool:

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I thought that, but in reality, i was just trying to find excuses for why i should buy a nano. realistically, in the gym all of the benefits of the nike plus are void because the machines have all the computer wizardry you need, it is only really useful if you run outside!:) In the gym, a shuffle is perfect...you dont have to hold it, you dont have to buy some strap to attach it to yourself, you dont have cables flapping all over the place and it is more resilient. imho, the shuffle is perfect!

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

whoops, just saw that you bought one. congrats on your purchase, although id still buy a shuffle for the gym, and use the nano elsewhere :)

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I second that for a shuffle, I have one and its great! I figured when your doing a proper workout your not stood there looking at a screen picking your songs.
    I just set up a fave playlist specifically for the shuffle and off I go. Its good to just clip on your shirt anywhere and if you did get to a song you wanted to skip, hit "next".
    Perfect, cheap and the sound quality on the shuffle beat the previous nano as I ended up swapping the previous model nano for a shuffle.

13. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

oops, my apologise too as you got a nano, however I agree with student_trap :D

14. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

well my nano and nike plus came today cant wait to give a try

Attached Files:

15. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

looking good :)

even ho I us my shuffle n the gym, I was going to try and start going running outside and was looking at the nike kit.
    When you get it setup would be good to know your thoughts on it

16. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

I plan on using it today for the first time ill let you know my intial impressions of it

17. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Good choice! Btw, does the nike+ thing have to work with nike shoes? I always wanted to try one, but I hate nike shoes.

18. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Nice nano! I've owned a blue 4GB model for about year and it has been great! It's really nice how I can throw it around and drop it (accidentally of course) and it just keeps on working. However, I just purchased a new 4GB nano so I can keep my old one in the car. I prefer holding the older model in my hand as it doesn't feel as awkward, but I do love the new interface and design of the 3G. Either way, both are great and should keep you happy until Steve introduces the new models... :p

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Good choice on the 2G red nano. That's the best looking nano (maybe best looking ipod) of all time, IMHO.

No, you can attach the nano to the laces of any shoes with a little pouch thingy. :)

A word of warning about the Nike+ - it's a lot of fun, but don't take its accuracy too seriously.

20. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

congrats, are you going to shell out some money for the nike+ shoes?

does the kit come with shoes?

21. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

it works without nike plus shoes i dont have them at first i put the sensor in between my laces but it kept falling out so i put it under the tongue of my shoe it gave me no problems afterwards. As far as the unit itself it took me awhile to get it to sync but after i did i found it very easy to use. If you run alot or need a little motvation its seems like a good buy for $30 ill post my insight on it as i use it more

22. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

Yeah i noticed it gave me .10 of a mile more then i actually ran today so its defintley a little off but not to bad, i really like the red but idk if i should have gotten the black nano i really love how the black nano looks but i do really like the red one and being for a good cause made it more appealing.

23. jeremyrader macrumors member

you can calibrate the Nike+ module fairly easily. I just get on a treadmill, get up to speed, press a button, run a mile, press another button, and it's done. It's stayed accurate for the last year and a half with a pouch on my non-Nike shoes.

In addition to the motivational stuff, it's great for keeping track of your pace during an actual race, for those that let you wear headphones anyways...

I keep hoping Apple will team up with Shimano and make a Flight Deck version for the bike...