Which Nas and Raid set up is right for me..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheDrift-, Sep 13, 2014.

1. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I currently have a Qnap 410, two of the drives needed replacing so I have just invested in 4 x 2gb drives...

..during the process of copying the files and replacing the drives my 410 has become pretty temperamental, & I think it has reached the end of its life..

I found the qnap pretty high maintenance and wanted something with more plug and play functionality...I was looking at synology, but I understand they have had some recent malware problems with users having their data encrypted and held to ransom.

My ideal solution would be 3 2xtb drives in raid 1 (mirrored, and maybe a spare) It need to be accessible on my local network (I do not want it to be accessible from outs tide my local network)..but I would do a raid 5 and hot spare if needed.

I will back up anther copy monthly and keep off site...its mostly just photo's but they have a high sentimental value to me, so I want to ensure there is a lot of redundancy.

Any suggestions?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

RAID is not a backup so,union, it is a high availability solution. Use it when you need to keep running in the event of a single drive failure. If the NAS fails, you lose both drive. Same thing in other disasters like fire and theft. I would rather have two backups of a drive than one backup,of a RAID 1 drive.

I have an older Synology and have no problem with malware. I haven't installed any additional software on it and have limited access allowed. Good solid appliance available in a variety of sizes and configurations.

3. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Thanks, I will have a separate off site back up.

Can you limit your synology to local network only?

4. ColdCase, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Thats how it works by default (and I think most NAS and servers), just don't set up remote access (and port forwarding in your router).

5. ColdCase, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have used a synology SYDS212JK2 for years, its a solid product.

Three drives mirrored seems to be excessive. The problem with a single NAS for backup is that it is a single failure point regardless of the number of drives installed.

I ran my two bay synology with two mirrored drives for backups and have another drive in a USB enclosure plugged into the synology for file sharing. I also backup to another drive hanging off a computer. There is also off site backup.

So should the NAS fail, I still have a local backup. The NAS backup is still there, but I won't be able to update or use it until the NAS is replaced (same brand/model). Should one of the NAS drives or the separate drive fail, I still have dual local backups. Replace the failed drive and recover.

For a number of performance reasons, I moved on to a computer instead of NAS. I have external drives hanging off of the computer and use Disk Utility to mirror a couple drives for redundancy and stripe a couple drives for performance. One advantage is that, should the computer fail, I can plug those droves into any MAC and use them. No need to wait for a NAS repair.

6. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I don't have a lot of data so 2tb is probably enough for now and for the forsable future..the 3 drives I figured would give me some peace of mind, because it would be a pretty extreme failure to take out 3 drives..raid 1 should mean I could take out any drive and it would work in another unit..the other thing is I have 4 new drives sat around anyway!

That together with an off site backup should keep me sleeping safely..

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

NAS's use proprietary crap on their drives, and you just can't remove a drive from one enclosure and use it in another without reformatting. Using the same brand/model NAS may be OK if you move the entire three disk set, but if removing a mirrored drive from a NAS and reading it by another device is your intent, then you may want to looking for something else, like a JBOD and software RAID.