Which NAS for offsite backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Helsen, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Helsen macrumors newbie

Hello

I am looking for an offsite backup solution in case my mac gets stolen or my house burns down. I am thinking of placing a nas at my parents house. I am new to nas though. Synology seems to be a good choice from what i have read so far. Not sure which model to take. Can someone help me with this? Is it hard to install?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe both Synology and Qnap have USB ports for you to hook up an external disk to back the NAS up, you can then take that external drive off site.

Qnap (I own one) offers cloud backup services, so if you have an account with Amazon, or one of the other providers Qnap is compatible with, you can backup your NAS to the cloud.

I'm sure Synology offers something similar though I can't be sure since I don't have one.

3. Helsen thread starter macrumors newbie

That is not what i had in mind. I m looking for some kind of server on which i can store stuff via internet connection.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Unless you have very fast upload speeds and no data cap on your or your parent's internet connection you will run into problems.

The Synology can be set up for external access but you won't be able to use time machine. You will have to roll your own backup solution.

5. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

You don't need an offsite server. Use Crashplan instead.

6. Helsen thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need Time Machine to backup over the internet. I already use TM with my das. I only need the offsite server to put on a daily or weekly backup. What do you mean by 'run into trouble'?

Crashplan is nice, but i'll have to keep paying subscription fees month after month. I don't feel good about that. Rather pay once and have my own server.

7. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

That's just silly. Crashplan charges $189 for 4 years of unlimited backup. You are going to spend way more money and time doing it yourself, and it won't be as reliable.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Plus Crashplan offer offsite backup for FREE. Exactly what you are looking for.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes you can use the Crashplan software with your own server, but I don't know if they have software for NASes. You could use a Mac mini or an old PC for the server -- just remember that it needs to run 24/7.

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yup. Buy an (or use your own) old computer and attach external drives to it. Might even be cheaper than buying NAS.

11. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

It's not "free". You have to buy a server, you have to buy hard drives, you have to pay for electricity to keep it up and running 24x7. Crashplan charges less than $4 for month. I just don't get it why anyone would go DYI route.

12. matrix07, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Same as the OP still has to buy a NAS and pay for electricity and keep it running for 24/7. It's free 'cause there's no subscription fee. Looks to me like it fit the OP plan nicely (uneasy to pay monthly). :cool:
    Of course you can argue $4 a month for "a" computer is cheaper but that is not what I'm saying.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I use both Crashplan and DIY. Doing a full recovery from Crashplan is either excessively slow or requires purchasing a recovery drive. It's always good to have two or more independent backup plans in case one fails.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

OT but I have to say this $189 for 4 years is perfect for backing up my TBs of HD movies. Thanks ctyrider for mentioning it. I'm just not sure how the price will be increased when those 4 years are up though.
    But in the end, this is way more cheaper than trying backing it up myself.

Cheers,

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

They did have a major price increase last year. I bought the "family plan" for 2-10 computers for a year two years ago and was shocked by the increase which was actually greater for the long term contracts than on a year to year basis! But I still consider it cheap so renewed for 4 years at $429. I back up 5 of my home Macs through the service, so it's about $21/year per system.

I think they probably underestimated how much data would be backed up with an "unlimited" service. They also keep old versions of files, so its a lot like Time Machine as well, and this just adds to the amount of storage needed.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

See the second part of my post where I mentioned that the qnap offers cloud backup options. I don't know if the synology has this, as I own the qnap and not the synology

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I use a WD MYCloud on dads 100/100 fiber link.

Works good.

I did first backup on site, incrementals remote.

18. smellalot macrumors 6502

Which software do you use?

19. matrix07, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

How is the average speed for your upload and download?

Thank you.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Cobian
    Probably doesn't help you on Mac. There are surely alternatives.

21. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You are in luck because I just looked at this for another thread. With a large backup (about 600GB), it's running at 4.3Mbps. I've got 25Mbps FIOS up speed (which I've verified). This was on my server and all the throttling settings were at minimum. While I've recently restored a 800 MB file, I didn't time it. Restoration feels about as fast as TimeMachine. I've got about 2TB on CrashPlan

22. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You could get two Synology units and have them backup to each other. Use the first one as your local/home backup and put the other offsite. This way, you could have everything configured and ready on both devices before moving the 2nd device offsite...negating the huge amount of bandwidth you'd be using, initially, with an empty offsite device.

23. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thanks. Sounds good.