Which Nas should I choose? Synology?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VTI1031, Jan 13, 2013.

1. VTI1031 macrumors newbie

Been reading up a little regarding NAS, which I think is my next investment. Need to read more though but thought I use the forum to get some input.

The plan is to use it as backup (timecapsule), saving images straight from iPhones, movies, torrents, media server (PLEX). I am also considering hosting a smaller Word press site on it in the future.

I have mostly apple products in the household currently. 2 iPhones, iPads, iMac 2007, MBA 2012, ATV, couple older PC's. Will most likely upgrade to a Mac mini or iMac in the near future.

Is Synology the obvious choice and if so which one? The DS213? I don't think I need the DS213+ since I rarely use encryption. Any other brands that is better choice?

What HD should I get? 2 x 3TB? Any brand preference?

Thanks

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I have a 2TB MyBook Live (4TB also available). I have 4 Macs backing up to it with TimeMachine. I have the WD2Go app installed on an iPad, along with the WD Photos app, which allow photo upload. It has the Twonky Media server built in, which I believe is compatible with Plex, but you cannot run the Plex Media Server on it. I don't know about torrents or Wordpress, though.