Which Netbook For me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kitch95, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

Hi
    I am looking for a netbook to accompany my 20" imac. I am considering:
    The MSI wind
    Dell mini 9
    eee pc 1002ha
    MSI wind
    and any other good suggestions

thanks for any replies

2. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Which one to buy

If you want to run os x on it I like the Dell mini9. Led back lit screen, ssd, 3 1/2 to 4 hours battery run time (max settings with wifi and bluetooth on) and good support available at mydellmini.com. The install method on the Dell is pretty easy and uses your retail copy of Leopard. Runs like a champ and even has a functioning card reader. Runs system updates just like a real mac.
    The quality of the dell (imho) feels much better then that of the eepc and more solid feeling then the msi wind.
    I bought this as a 3rd computer but find myself using it far more often then I thought I would and because of its size tends to go almost everywhere with me.
    I would recommend the base Linux machine and do a third party ram and ssd upgrade. Want to save even more money you can get one from the dell factory outlet.
    Good luck and be sure to post which netbook you choose.
    Jim

3. rua66 macrumors newbie

I would go for the eeepc 1002ha. Better wireless "n".

I'm currently using the before eeepc the 1000h, and i can that it is 101% fantastic. many of my friends have the Acer aspire one, but really, nothing compared to the 1000h.

So, again i would go for the 1002ha, oh!! and the battery, it lasts 5 hours in medium settings.

4. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Doesn't the wireless n card run pretty hot? People who have tried them in the Dell mini9 usually take them back out because of the extra heat generated versus the standard g card. Of course the mini9 is fanless so that makes the extra heat noticeable pretty quickly.

5. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

I think I have narrowed it down to the MSI and the dell I might try to install osx but its not top of the list when it comes to requirements. Battery life would probably to the list

6. rua66 macrumors newbie

You barely feel it, it is inside a thick chassi, fanless could generate a bit more heat but still wouldn't say hot. On the 1000h the only heat you feel is a bit from the HD i might be buying a SSD because of that.

The dell is also nice because of Leopard.

Sony will soon launch a netbook VAIO. but i think it's a 8.9". but it weight's 600 grams.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Can the SSD be easily replaced on the Dell? because the biggest you can get is 64gb.

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I am also interested in a netbook. Does Leopard run smoothly on all of the ones listed in the OP??

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yeah I researched it and the starting price is $899. You may as well buy a white MB... :)

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If that's the case, the HP Mini 1000 is fantastic. There's little chance that OS X will be able to be installed on it, but oh well.

The MSI Wind is great too, but not nearly as pretty.

11. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

The hp is very nice but I have had bad experiences with hp (numerous wireless cards and a mother board replacement). I think I am leaning towards the MSI. Thanks for the replies.

12. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

I second the eeepc. I have a 1000h with a n card and a 160hd. Works wonders.

13. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

Leopard?

14. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

The HP Mini 1000 is OS X compatible... just currently sound doesnt work

15. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

nah, that's why i have my macbook pro. BUT, i've read eeepc forums where people say they run into sound issues. other than that, they say it runs better on an eee than a mini 9

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're right.

Last time I checked, they had a bunch of red dots and question marks. I guess at the time, nobody had figured out how to do it on the Mini 1000. Now there's only a question mark where the Ethernet is. I guess if you don't use ethernet, the HP 1000 is OK.

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

What about a Lenovo IdeaPad S10? Seems to be OS X-compatible based on the above, and IMO it's the most Apple-looking netbook.

18. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I have the Acer Aspire One and it's great. It's quite fast too and it's selling for at a competitive price. You can get one for $299!

19. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

oddly enough i just bought a Dell Mini 9 from the canadian bestbuy website for 299 canadian haha

Installing OSX on it is as easy as DLing the slipstreamed version of OSX that was made for the MSI Wind, and two extra patches to enable the wifi and sound. All you do is boot from an external DVD and install the DL'ed leopard, then when you reboot you run the patches and sound and wifi work, and your done! its as easy is installing on a mac.

The specs on the mini 9 are the same as my rev A macbook except the Atom haha

Not as pretty as the Wind or the HP, but really 299$ CAN. thats cheap for me, if your american its like 240 haha

20. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I'm leaning towards building a mini 1000 with an upgraded SSD and Ram. Based on the drop of new hardware today, I don't see Apple releasing a netbook anytime soon.