Which netbook should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Oct 17, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm trading my MacBook Pro for an iMac because literally the only time my MacBook Pro leaves the apartment is when I take law school exams.

I still need a laptop for law school exams, so I'm thinking I'll get a netbook for that.

Is that a good idea?

I'm looking at the Acer Aspire One, which is $350. I'm also eyeing the Dell Mini 9, which is also $350.

My other option is a cheap Dell (full) laptop, which is $500.

Any advice?

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have an Acer Aspire one. I like it for surfing and email where I don' want to take my Macbook Pro

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Let me get this straight.. you are asking advice on a Mac forum for which PC to buy? Good luck with that.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Sure, why not? There's no Mac netbooks (the MacBook Air certainly doesn't belong in this category despite what some people say), so I see nothing wrong with that.

Hell, there's even a "post your netbooks!" thread in the pictures forum.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

buy a full laptop unless you want portability. you sacrifice a lot on netbooks. Both of the netbooks you posted are pretty good and about the same.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have heard a lot of good things about the HP mini note. Their low end one ships with Linux

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There should be several new models coming out prior to the holidays, including some with dual-core Atom cpus, and some with better graphics, etc.

You might want to wait a few weeks (if you can)...

Meanwhile, have you checked the user review on Newegg's netbooks? They might give you some insight.

8. Nasus macrumors member

NetBooks are okay but....

I bought the ASUS eee PC 1000H to take to Europe with me because I didn't want anything to happen to my MacBook Pro and I needed something that had a small footprint for carrying. Boy did I miss my Mac!

The NetBook was okay for basic email and Web surfing but it was slow. I was taking a lot of pictures so it was nice for storage and viewing but when it came to editing and sending pictures it was just way too slow. It does have great wireless connectivity and worked well with my air card.

It is what it is and you get pretty much what you pay for but in the end I think I would have been better off buying maybe a used or refurbed MacBook to take with me.

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

have you checked out the HP mini note?

i think it's the most expensive netbook on the market i think, but the specs speak for themselves. i think theyre a couple hundred more than the dell, but youre looking at a nice sized hard drive to put all your school documentation on.

also, it feels the most "solid" out of the ones i have physically checked out. which to me is important.

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just got the Dell Mini 9. its a great little thing. the keys are a little bit bigger in places than on an Eee so its a little easier to type on, but they made sacrifices in other areas. its also, as of right now, the easiest to hack Leopard on if that would be something you'd be interested in doing. i have to wait to get an external dvd case to give it a try though.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I need some Netbook advice...

Thanks!

I'm on my Compaq laptop now I use as a backup for our projection computer at church to show songs and video. It's:

Celeron 1.4, Intel GMA900, 768Meg RAM, Windows XP, 4 years old.

My concern is mainly with iTunes Video. It plays them so-so.

I also have a Thinkpad X31 12" notebook:

Centrino 1.3, ATI Radeon Pro (16 Megs), 1 Gigs RAM, WinXP, almost 5 years old.

Believe it or not, the older Thinkpad plays iTunes videos great and much better. I guess it has to do with both the Centrino chip as well as the discreet graphics.

These older notebooks I have are starting to show wear (the Compaq's backlight is starting to flicker :( ) Will a Netbook be up to snuff? An Atom 1.6 with GMA950?

Would like to be able to play iTunes videos (SD) without a hitch.

Thanks!

12. cube macrumors G5

I think the Lenovo IdeaPad S10, which has an ExpressCard slot, is interesting.