Which network is used when both Cellular Data and Wireless are on and connected?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tetris24, May 27, 2012.

1. tetris24, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

tetris24 macrumors newbie

When both Cellular Data (3G in my case) and Wireless are enabled and connected with full bars and full wifi strength, which interface does the device use to send/receive data? Is there a way (App) to tell which is being used and/or does it depend on the type of data (streaming netflix vs sending an email for example)?

Thanks!

Edit:
    The routing table shows 2 default routes which is what got me wondering in the first place:

Internet:
    - destination: default
    * gateway: 10.10.1.1
    * netif: en0
    * flags: UGSc
    * refs: 320
    * use: 0
    * mtu: 1500
    * expire: -1
    - destination: default
    * gateway: 75.209.69.73
    * netif: pdp_ip0
    * flags: UGScI
    * refs: 25
    * use: 0
    * mtu: 1450
    * expire: -1

First is my home network, second is my Cell Data.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I message uses cellular when avalible as does most push notifications. Other than that everything is via wifi

4. tetris24 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Does it ever switch to 4G if it senses a faster connection?

I was watching a video and I had both 4G and WiFi enabled. I was in my own home, in range of my WiFi signal. I looked at the status bar and it said LTE instead of showing the WiFi logo.

I went into settings and shut the Cell Data off and I received a warning message something to the effect of degraded video quality.

I was always under the assumption that it would always be on WiFi unless WIFi was unavailable. This puzzled me and was a bit concerning, considering my 4G data is limited.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I can tell you that it always shows the cellular connection when it's on instead of the wifi signal (why it doesn't show both the way my phone does, I don't know). Which connection it defaults to using, I don't know.