Which New 15 inch Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macwow55, Apr 15, 2010.

1. macwow55 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I know there has been some discussion about this, but I have some particular concerns.

Going to buy MBP 15inch with 8GB RAM

Do i get 2.66 with 512GPU or 2.53 with 256GPU?

I Use the computer for video editing & opening LARGE photoshop files - basic level adjustment & color correction etc but on large 400MB files

I also intend to edit HD video Shot on Canon 5D mark 2.

Will i see any REAL/Practical advantage in the 2.66 vs 2.53 or will it merely be theoretical?

Also. CAN I install my own SSD at a later date? (when it gets cheaper)?

AND -

Will the 2.66 run HOTTER and NOISIER than the 2.53?

I couldn't find any benchmarks comparing the two. Please send a link if you know of any.

Thanks!

Scott

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.66GHz is few seconds faster while e.g. exporting a clip in iMovie etc but I think you're fine with 2.53GHz, even with 2.4GHz

All i5 and i7 used in MBPs have the same TDP so no difference in heat and noise level

3. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

The question shouldn't be the difference between the two clock speeds, it's more of an issue of will doubling your graphics performance better enable you to get your work done?

If you are going to drop 400 on 8gb of ram, why not go all in?

4. macwow55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which Mac Book Pro 15 inch?

Ok good point about going all in - but its a matter of whats appropriate for what i need.

For example. Say I have $2500 to work with.

for my intended use: Photoshop (400MB files) & Editing HD video.

Am i better getting

2.4 GHZ with SSD & 8GB RAM?

or 2.66 gHZ with 512 GPU, 7200rpm drive & 8GB RAM

I read that Cs5 will be taking advantage of GPU. So is the extra vRAM worth it in my case?

5. Maximus434 macrumors regular

SSD. I guarantee you that a good SSD drive will blow any other upgrade out of the water. Considering the file sizes you will be dealing with, an SSD will be hundreds of times more valuable to you than 256mb vram. The difference between it and a regular HDD is like night and day. Large files won't ever clog your system again. There is no slowdown. The 7200rpm HDD will be the biggest bottleneck in your other configuration. In fact, it would be a step backwards for you since with files that large no matter how fast your CPU or GPU, they will always be only as fast as they can get the files. Which, with a mechanical hard drive, isn't fast at all. It would hold up your system.

2.4Ghz is plenty and coupled with a good SSD (from OCZ or Intel etc.) your MBP will be faster than getting any more expensive option from Apple.