Which new 27 inch iMac should I purchase??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I am looking to buy a 27 inch iMac for my home office. There are 3 27 inch iMac models out there (1799.00, 1999.00, and 2299.00 prices) and I'm not sure which one I should buy. I would use it at home based business for internet, email, word processing, watch videos, light desktop publishing, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, QuickBooks, etc.

Is the Retina display really worth it or is it just a lot of hype? Does it help resale value? How about the hard drive. Do I really need the fusion drive (don't even know what this is). I have always had just basic hard drives in all of my iMacs and never had a problem. Is it better to forgo the high end 27 inch model and just add more ram or is 8GB of memory enough for now what I am doing? I am not a gamer or a programmer.

Will I really notice the speed difference between 3.2GHZ, 3.3 GHZ, or 3.5 GHz processor???

So, which model of the 3???

2. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

You could et the 1799 just fine with flash drive if possible. Flash drive is like "ram", it does not have mechanic parts and the computer can read everything super fast. When power it on it takes probably 15 seconds to be ready and applications runs way faster but really fast. With 8GB of ram you will be fine. That computer can last at least 4 years just fine. Just add more ram later on. By the way, flash drives are cooler, they do not make noise and use less electricity. Fusion drives are a mix of regular hard drive with flash memory, it will host the things you use the most in the fast flash part and the rest in the regular drive but for me is like buah.

3. pjfan macrumors regular

It seems as though you're a "no-hassle" type of person that wants their system to just work.

I would recommend to absolutely go with the fusion drive and the size you choose along with retina screen. Everything else doesn't matter as much. Apple's ram prices are ridiculous, but if you don't want to upgrade it yourself (extraordinarily easy) go with 16.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Retina displays are brilliant, especially for text the hype is no lie.

Don't buy any modern mac without an SSD of some sort (fusion drive gives you 128GB of SSD with 1TB of HDD the OS puts what is most used and need most speed onto the SSD for you and manages it all to get the best speed you can) they make them much more speedy fluid and pleasant to use in evry situation. They are far more important than RAM in most use cases and the 27 inch can still be upgraded with RAM by the user at a much better price.

In short for your use case I would recommend any of them with a fusion drive, you won't notice the CPU GPU or even RAM amount at all but the SSD in the fusion drive will be a massive bonus.

5. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder when the new iMacs will be released. Does anyone know????

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Best guess october for skylake imacs at the moment with a 4K 21 inch in the offing as well.

7. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think the 27 inch models will change much that have the retina display? Should I just buy now or wait? I doubt there will be much change in the 27 inch models as they updated them in May.....

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They didn't update them in May, they stopped the non retina 27 inch and added a lower priced lower specced 27 inch retina to hit the previous price point. (No ssd and lesser CPU). They haven't changed since 2013 really.

However taking a look at your use case I can't imagine it'll make any difference to you at all, so wait if you wish or buy with confidence your choice.