Which new chipsets will Apple most likely include?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elppa, Jul 21, 2008.

?

Which new chipsets will Apple include?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2008.
  1. Hybrid Graphics

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. WiMax

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. GPS

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. HSDPA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I was thinking about new chipsets Apple may have been inspired to place in their upcoming MacBook and MacBook Pro revisions coming soon.

Hybrid Graphics — Combining integrated and dedicated graphics makes a lot of sense for providing great graphics performance when required and increasing battery life when not required.

WiMax — Intel has done a lot for Apple, Apple may do something for Intel in return. WiMax across the board would not only give Apple a unique selling point and speed up adoption.

GPS — Location based services look to take of in the next few years. Apple may choose now as a time to apply their experience with iPhone to their notebooks.

HSDPA — Probably the least likely, but it may be a BTO option. It would make some sense as Apple has better contacts with telecommunications companies now than they ever did?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Im not sure if they will use Hybrid Graphics, probably no.

They will not use WiMax, Apple has there own.

GPS= No

HSDPA....good chance with ATT maybe?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not seeing it, not seeing it, not seeing it, not seeing it.

The poll is flawed; there's no "None" option.

4. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Sorry, how do you edit a poll?

I can't work it out. That should be in there.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, I don't know if you can. People always leave "None" out of "Which of these highly implausible, tiny niche, high power draw features will Apple use?" polls, though. :cool:

6. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Well the whole idea of hybrid graphics is to save battery life, not decrease it.

GPS can be turned on and off as needed, so shouldn't drain too much.

I think we can take CPU/GPU/RAM upgrades as a given. I wanted to talk about more interesting things.

7. crobbins macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to agree. I'm just not sure these features are something Apple seems to care about putting in. WiMax would have been offered on the last refresh I think if it was going in. We'll see though. I would always like to be wrong on this one (for any of the features) :).

8. MusicallySilent macrumors member

I would like to see Hybrid graphics but I am not sure how likely it is. If they could do ATI 3200 Integrated side by side with 3850 Dedicated graphics card that would be very nice, plus if needed you could potentially run them in Hybrid Crossfire.