Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
There is a few pocket sized HD cams available now, Iknow they have their problems but I'm after convenience here, as i dont use my fullsize cam enough because its too big, one of these would be perfect though, has anybody used them or can recommend?

a) sanyo DMX-HD1000
b) sony TG3E
c) sanyo DMX-HD700

bclayton88

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
have you considered and hv20/30... They are pretty small. I think they only weigh about 1.5 lbs...I have one and love it...the footage is amazing and you can pick up an hv20 now for close to $600

bclayton88

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
sorry about hat last post didn't look up any of your choices before my first post...the hv20/30 is a full size cam but a small one...not pocket sized though:(

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
yes i do like the HV 20/30 but its about the size of the one i have now but just dont use enough, im willing to loose quality for convienience, better to have slightly lower quality vid than none cause i cant be bothered to carry around a cam haha.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
With a baby on the way I'm in the market for a pocket cam as well.

Review of the Sony here. Doesn't sound too good.

Review of the Sanyo DMX-HD1000 here.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
Thanks, i have seen them reviews and downloaded the sony samples though could only find flash movies from the sanyo, was just wondering from anyone 1st hand the sanyo is definatley cheaper and appears to do better stills, and i think both arent fantastic in low light (to be expected really) I think im leaning towards the sanyo though i would like to try or see samples from both the 700 and 1000 for a direct comparison.

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
There is a few pocket sized HD cams available now, Iknow they have their problems but I'm after convenience here, as i dont use my fullsize cam enough because its too big, one of these would be perfect though, has anybody used them or can recommend?

a) sanyo DMX-HD1000
b) sony TG3E
c) sanyo DMX-HD700

I just picked up the Sony TG1 (USA) and so far I think its fantastic for what it is. Its really small and easy to use (I disagree with Engadget). They complain about the menu system being horrible, but about 15 minutes of playing around is all it took me to get comfortable with the menu system. I had the Sanyo HD700 and thought it was horrible. The video quality was not good compared to the Sony in my opinion. Also, when you have the stabilizer on it crops the video. And the worse thing with the Sanyo was the constant hunting of the focus. I do not encounter that one bit with the Sony. The electronic stabilizer on the Sony is excellent. The sound is fine. Editing the movies with iMovie 08 is a snap. I also played with a friends HD1000, but the size turned me off to that one. I wanted something small and the Sony fits that bill just fine. Fits in my pocket easily and enables me to carry it with me all of the time unlike my other camcorder.

Now please know that I'm no movie producer/director/editor or camera reviewer. I'm just an average guy that got this to capture memories of my family and friends and it does that very well.

Good luck with your choice,
Jason

kenrobin

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks for the David Pogue review. He didn't recommend any of the pocket-size cameras and he also panned AVCHD as being difficult to edit even on a Mac.

I keep reading that AVCHD is a nightmare to edit. Is anyone having success using this format with Final Cut Express and/or iMovie?

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
thanks jason, thats the sort of thing i wanted to hear, someone that had some experience with 2 or more of the cams. Could i just ask how you are finding the sony in low-light (indoors)?

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks for the David Pogue review. He didn't recommend any of the pocket-size cameras and he also panned AVCHD as being difficult to edit even on a Mac.

I keep reading that AVCHD is a nightmare to edit. Is anyone having success using this format with Final Cut Express and/or iMovie?

I am using iMovie 08 to edit the AVCHD footage coming from my Sony TG1. iMovie converts the video to .mov files when importing, but its working just great for me.

Jason

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
thanks jason, thats the sort of thing i wanted to hear, someone that had some experience with 2 or more of the cams. Could i just ask how you are finding the sony in low-light (indoors)?

Indoor low light is not too bad. It can get noisy, but I dont find it any worse than something like the Sanyo HD700 or the Canon HF100. I haven't played around a whole lot with the camera yet, but I have recorded a few things indoors. Here is a link to my vimeo site that you can check out. I shot some video indoors in my house, at a gym and a school hallway. I also posted a very short (7 secs) clip taken at night inside a pub. There was not very much light at all so the footage is noisy/grainy. Feel free to look at these and maybe it will give you an idea of what it can do.

http://www.vimeo.com/1056380

Later,
Jason

kenrobin

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Jason, thanks for posting the sample video and confirming success editing footage from the Sony TG1 with iMovie. I had been anxiously awaiting the release of the TG1 until all of the negative reviews hit the net.

Good to see that that a "regular" user is happy with the camera. I'm sold....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.